The Academy of Medical Sciences is the independent body in the UK representing the diversity of medical science. Our aim is to promote advances in medical research and ensure these advances are converted into healthcare benefits to society. We are one of the UK’s five National Academies and work closely with them and our sister Academies overseas. We are also an integral part of the UK’s strong biomedical research community, working closely with funders, medical research charities, the NHS and the private sector.
Our elected Fellows – over 1200 – are central to our success. They have been elected on the basis of sustained, outstanding contributions to a range of scientific fields, and are drawn from universities, hospitals, general practice, industry and the public service. It is their knowledge, influence and networks that are the Academy’s most powerful assets and inform all that we do.
The Academy is experiencing a period of sustained growth and is now looking for a highly motivated and forward-thinking finance professional with robust technical skills to provide high quality support to the organisation to ensure continued success. This is a high profile role which will work closely with the Director of Finance and Resources to ensure the effective financial planning, control and management within the charity and its trading subsidiary.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Being responsible for the coverage of the full Finance function and ensuring financial controls are maintained;
- Leading the annual budget setting process and 3 year forecasts; preparation of month end management accounts; Finance & Audit Committee packs and documents for Board meetings; supporting budget holders and fundraising teams;
- Leading the relationship with auditors; preparation of statutory accounts; completion of VAT returns for the Academy and its trading subsidiary; supporting the treasury and payroll management;
- Leading on the implementation of a new finance system and continuous development of appropriate accounting software and systems;
- Management of a small team.
The successful candidate will be fully qualified (ACA/ACCA/CIMA/CIPFA) from the Charity or wider Public Sector. You will be well-versed in Charity SORP, have experience in managing teams and introducing new financial systems. We are looking for someone who is keen to share their expertise to support others in their roles and sets high standards for themselves and the team. You will need to be proactive, finding solutions and encouraging new ways of doing things. You will be able to communicate complex financial information to stakeholders and possess the ability to influence and build rapport with a range of finance and non-finance persons across the organisation.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a high calibre finance professional looking to make an impact in the sector and to shape the Finance function of a growing and vibrant organisation.
- Application deadline: 19th March 2017
- Shortlisting : 30th March 2017
- Interviews: w/c 6th April 2017
If you are interested in applying for this role, please contact Bryony Feeney on 02035428393 or email email@example.com for more details about how to apply.