Barnet residents and taxpayers expect high quality, flexible and responsive public services for themselves, their families and their communities. To assist with this, Barnet have moved away from the traditional model of providing services ‘in house’ through a number of directorate silos, to a ‘mixed economy’ of services taken from the public, private and voluntary sectors, with the aim of securing the best deal for their residents. In 2013 Barnet Council awarded Capita a 10 year contract to run the council’s main internal support services, including finance, HR, IT and estates.
The contract has already delivered significant benefit to the borough, with overall savings of £31 million achieved alongside increased resident satisfaction. To help continue with and improve the service Capita are providing to Barnet, they have restructured the finance team supporting the council and are now recruiting for a number of dedicated finance professionals focused on customer service and adding value.
The Financial Accountant will report to the Finance Manger (Accountancy), supporting them in all aspects of their role and assisting in ensuring the financial statements of the authority are closed and other financial matters are delivered.
The key responsibilities of the Financial Accountant will include;
- Assisting with the production of the Statement of Accounts and related returns for the authority
- Researching, interpreting and implementing the implications of new legislation and changes to accounting requirements then disseminating to staff as appropriate
- Liaising with internal and external audit on any matters affecting the closedown and audit of accounts
- Taking responsibility for providing sound, pro-active financial advice and technical accounting support services to managers and business partners at all levels
- Ensuring that comprehensive procedures are reviewed, developed and maintained
- Assist in the reporting of Revenue and Capital expenditure and forecasts both internally and externally.
To be suitable for the role you need to be at least part qualified, with strong technical skills and experience of close down, ideally within a Local Government environment. You will need the ability to work under your own initiative with limited supervision or direction.
For more information on the role, Capita and Barnet please refer to https://allenlanerecruitment.wixsite.com/capitabarnet. For an informal discussion regarding the position please contact Will Ryan at Allen Lane on 020 3031 9635.
Interested candidates should email a CV with a covering letter expressing their reasons for interest and current salary details to email@example.com.
Closing date for applications: 17th April