Interim Project Accountant – Security Cleared
Sector: Local Government
Location: Hybrid working
Date posted: 14/04/2022
Duration: 6 months
Salary: £500 - £575 per day
This role will be a mix of home and office working and you must have security clearance or have been security cleared in the past.
The successful candidate will be required to adopt a proactive approach to a range of activities, work with minimal supervision, have regular communications with both internal and external stakeholders, often at a senior level, requiring the post holder to build effective working relationships across the project.
It should be noted that the corporate financial deadlines are around the last and first week of each calendar month, leave should be taken at other times, to enable these and other processes, including project reporting, to be completed on time.
- To provide relevant and timely financial advice to Senior Managers.
- Production of monthly forecasting reports by FBC budget type, and the project finance plan, including commentaries to support the financial position.
- Review transactions on PSOP, checking the accuracy of the costs, align spend to capital budget final business case categories. Take corrective action if issues arise.
- Completion of all monthly account reconciliations in line with corporate timescales, including raising journals and accruals/prepayments.
- Provide financial reports and present monthly reporting to project board.
- Provide financial reports to programme board.
- Liaise with Commercial Providers to ensure accurate forecasting, obtain accrual information and
- Monitor and report on change control costs.
- Track service changes and the subsequent impact on the implementation budgets and project recurring revenue.
- Provide monthly updates to Transformation Directorate Strategic Finance Business Partner and Deputy Finance Business Partner
- Provide reporting on outstanding commitments and aged debt, to the project team.
- Produce other finance reports as required, such as cost modelling, to support decision making, and provision of commercial information.
- Retain appropriate documentation to support financial transactions and satisfy audit requirements.
Communications and working relationships will include:
- Project SLT: to provide Financial advice and ensure best financial practise; updates on budgeting, forecasting and costing issues
- Transformation Directorate Strategic Finance Business Partner and team: to provide updates on monthly positions, quarterly forecasts and budget movements
- Project Board, present and produce the monthly finance pack, provide any further financial information as requested for the Board
- Project Team, regular liaison on a number of issues, including budget availability, verifying forecast and delivery timescales
- Demonstrable experience of financial planning, budgeting, forecasting and reporting.
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills, being able to analyse and present data in a clear and logical format.
- Experience of carrying out monthly transactional processes, such as accruals and journals
- Strong organisational and time management skills
- The successful candidate will be part/fully qualified accountant (ACCA, CIMA, CIPFA etc). If part qualified the successful candidate will be actively working towards full qualification.
- Working knowledge of PSOP and other tools used by MPS finance, such as Excel for Apps.