Sector: Central Government
Location: Bootle, London or Cheltenham
Date posted: 14/04/2022
Salary: £53,543 - £61,921 per annum*
The Office for Nuclear Regulation is the UK’s independent nuclear regulator, with the legal authority to regulate nuclear safety, security and conventional health and safety at 36 licensed nuclear sites in Great Britain (GB).
In order for ONR to achieve its vision of being a modern, transparent regulator delivering trusted outcomes and value, they need to continue to evolve their technology and data, and this role is key in delivering this.
You will help drive implementation of the ONR Data Strategy that will delivered during 2022 and beyond. This will require you to establish new practices, procedures and artifacts including Data Architecture and Data Modelling. It will involve further developing the Data Strategy to meet changing needs and stay aligned to ONR data strategy
This is an exciting new role in a newly formed Business Intelligence function part of the IT department and is essential to ensure that we are able to meet the needs of the business going forward. BI function is made up of 9 staff split into BI development, BI Change, BI Delivery, and an Admin & Support team. This role will sit in parallel and directly report into Head of Business Intelligence.
These activities will be relevant to the IT’s modernisation plans, the wider technology transformation delivery roadmap, BI Strategy and the day-to-day technical sustainment work needed to maintain the estate.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual who is comfortable challenging the way things are done as is constantly looking for improvement to introduce smarter ways of working.
About the role
The Data Architect will be expected to operate at enterprise level but also work in detailed data architecture and modelling to guide the organisation through data design, management and implementation. It is therefore essential that you have strong communication and analytical skills
Key operational responsibilities
- Setting the vision and creating the strategy for the organisation’s approach to enterprise data architecture.
- Developing the enterprise data architecture roadmap, ensuring alignment to business capabilities and organisational strategies
- Maintaining the pipeline of Data projects and their status against the Data Strategy
- Develops data strategies for warehouse implementation, data acquisition and access, and data archiving and recovery
- Driving the implementation of standards, processes, and governance controls to support the end-to-end data lifecycle within enterprise data architectures.
- Working with system and service owners to drive improvements in data quality.
- Overseeing the data architecture of technical designs and execution of high-impact, enterprise-wide strategic data programs and initiatives.
- Developing an integrated collection of master design documents including standards that will govern how data is collected, stored, arranged, used, and removed.
- Translating business requirements into deliverable data solutions, that include data streams, integrations, transformations, storage, reporting and analytics.
- Identifying key data domains to categorise company wide data in a structured manner.
- Provide advice and suggesting courses of action, provide coaching, mentoring and support to other BI/IT colleagues and peers.
- Be able to see the Big Picture with the ability to rapidly understand complex and strategic issues and devise workable plans to deliver against them.
Essential job related expertise/experience and skills
- Extensive experience in a Data Architecture role with an understanding of Architecture frameworks, data modelling methodologies and data warehousing methodologies
- Proven ability in developing enterprise data strategies and supporting architectures, leading data architecture-based business change.
- Evidence of producing target and transitional data architectures in delivery of strategic initiatives and objectives.
- Proven ability to defining and governing data modelling and design standards, tools, best practices, and related development practices for enterprise data models.
- Experience defining data lake and data warehousing architectures and supporting schemas and pipelines.
- Experience of communicating the data architecture vision and roadmaps to stakeholders.
- Experience of working closely with relevant stakeholders to both understand the impact of and influence future organisational requirements to refine the data architecture roadmaps.
- Experience of supporting technical architects ensuring data architecture is considered at each stage of the design process.
Desirable skills and experience
- Degree in a relevant subject such as Software Engineering, IT, machine learning, Data modelling, mathematics or in a relevant field.
- Experience of Cloud based ETL/ELT technologies, Data Warehousing, Data modelling and ETL Tools, Power BI
Location / Travel
This role can be based at any of ONR’s offices in Bootle, Cheltenham or London. However, ONR operates a hybrid working policy and the individual can work remotely.
The majority of staff are still currently working from home due to COVID-19. As pandemic restrictions are lifted, there would remain some flexibility to work at home subject to business needs.
SC clearance is required for this role.
*plus up to an additional £10,000 recruitment allowance