Location: London - Hybrid
Date posted: 14/07/2022
Salary: £80,000 - £90,000 per annum
The ventures that we develop and support are tackling some of the most challenging problems facing young people, both in the UK and around the world.
Many of these ideas started in Ark Schools. Others have come from innovators and partners outside of Ark. But they all share the ambition to address some of the most intractable issues of education and society and they all have the potential to deliver widespread change.
Our present group of ventures are broad in their ambition. They include Ark Curriculum Plus, which seeks to transform student achievement through unique curriculum and teacher development programmes; Ed City, an innovative education hub where we will bring together mission-aligned organisations in shared office space alongside a school and other child and education provision; and Ark Start, which aim to prove that a small additional investment in early years education can lead to much better outcomes.
Ark’s finance team is an integral part of Ark’s strategy to create and support these ventures. Due to an internal move we are looking for a new Finance Director for Ark, someone who has the ability to support and shape the organisation. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer the role will oversee the financial management of Ark & Ark Ventures (8 entities) with a combined income of £15m and a £100m capital project, EdCity.
This is an exciting role covering responsibilities across all the different ventures. The successful candidate will have knowledge and/or experience of providing a high-quality finance service to a range of organisations, from start-ups to established charities. The ideal candidate will have strong financial management skills and a clear sense of how management information should be presented. They will be excited by the prospect of working in a dynamic and ambitious organisation, able to manage multiple priorities and be ready to use their skills across a range of ventures.
Key areas of responsibility of the Finance Director will include;
- Overall responsibility for all aspects of Ark and Ventures financial management and reporting, including core budgets and forecasts, final review and sign-off of statutory returns, year-end statutory accounts and VAT returns
- Preparation of consolidated (Ark and Ventures) finance reports for Ark’s board, including attendance and presentation to the Finance and Risk Committee (FRC)
- Final review of cashflow forecasts for all Ark entities and overall responsibility for bank and treasury management
- Responsibility for highlighting any financial risks to the Management Team and ultimately to the FRC
- Quarterly reviews of Ventures’ management accounts and budgets/ forecasts, prior to submission to Programme Boards and the Ark Board and FRC, attending Programme Boards and advising on commercial opportunities as required
- Ensure fundraising team reporting is consistent with Ventures’ strategies and funds are recorded in the system appropriately
- Lead Finance workstreams for incubated Ventures that are becoming independent or new Ventures joining Ark
- Delivering finance elements of the EdCity project, ensure correct reporting of all grants and loans, related to the EdCity project, including reporting to funders and aligning with contract requirements
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate;
- Professional CCAB Accounting Qualification
- Strong line management skills to lead a team of ranging skills and experience and be able to contribute to the wider management of the Finance team at both operational and strategic level
- Experience of reporting management and statutory accounts and presentation to budget holders through to Boards
- Able to juggle multiple priorities and enjoy an environment which is constantly changing.
Generous benefits include:
- 27 days annual leave plus bank holidays, rising with each year of service
- Workplace pension scheme where Ark make an 11% contribution and employee contribution is optional
- Access to Ark Rewards scheme offering savings from over 3,000 major retailers, interest-free loans available for season tickets or a bicycle and gym discounts offering up to 40% off your local gym
Please view the candidate pack for further details on the role and additional information on Ark.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send your CV to email@example.com Wednesday 3rd August. For an informal conversation about the role and further information, please contact our exclusive partner Sian Negal at Allen Lane on 07921 336709 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Closing date: 3rd August
- Shortlist: 15th August
- Interviews:18th & 24th
As an equal opportunities employer, Ark & Ark Ventures actively welcomes applications from all communities and backgrounds.
Ark is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people in our academies. As such the successful candidate will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.