Head of Financial Accounts & Reporting
Sector: Central Government
Date posted: 16/04/2019
Salary: £60,000 - £69,000 per annum*
The Treasury is the United Kingdom’s economics and finance ministry. It is responsible for formulating and implementing the government’s financial and economic policy. Its aim is to raise the rate of sustainable growth, and achieve rising prosperity and a better quality of life with economic and employment opportunities for all.
HM Treasury’s Finance Team, within the Corporate Centre Group, comprises approximately 25 staff based in London. We are responsible for providing sound financial management advice and information for internal use, and accurate information for Parliamentary control and public accountability purposes.
Annual Report and Accounts
- Deliver the Treasury’s Annual Report and Accounts, and interim and mid-year financial reports, obtaining clearance from the Permanent Secretary, Audit and Risk Committee, Ministers and the National Audit Office as appropriate.
- Lead on the preparation of the Treasury’s Annual Report and Accounts and Whole of Government Accounts return, including the consolidation of the department’s agencies, NDPBs and new bodies, including the consolidation of UK Asset Resolution (comprising Bradford & Bingley and NRAM).
- Deliver balance-sheet financial information, internally and externally, including developing, monitoring and progressing appropriate mechanisms for capturing data and reporting to the Executive Management Board and Operational Committee as required.
Technical accounting and contribution to the development of policy advice
- Provide financial support and advice regarding government interventions in the financial sector and the growth agenda, and acting as a finance representative on steering boards for the most significant projects.
- Liaise with policy teams and advise on the financial implications of new policies and initiatives on the department, including financial negotiations on financial stability and growth interventions.
- Line manage two Range E/Grade 7s and lead a financial accounts team of six staff, including ensuring sufficient development opportunities are provided to those staff.
- Contribute to the wider management of the Finance team through working with the other branch heads and the Deputy Director Finance.
As well as being an experienced financial professional, you will be a strong leader and demonstrate the ability to lead teams to deliver. Crucially we are looking for you to:
- CCAB or equivalent qualification.
- Be a credible and authentic leader, with the ability to articulate a vision, engage and motivate people to deliver results.
- Show that you have the skills to provide insight and clear strategic understanding to ensure financial objectives are embedded into the decision making process.
- Show the ability to build a wide ranging network of relationship across departmental / organisational boundaries that support collaborative working across teams or organisations in order to deliver.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Extensive experience of financial accounting for complex consolidations, including experience of applying IFRS in the financial services sector and applying the Government Financial Reporting Manual.
- Ability to analyse technical financial issues and to communicate effectively complex financial information and risks to a wide range of stakeholders.
- Experience of managing a sizeable team, including multiple direct reports
For more information get in touch with Tim Salmon for more details – HMTreasury@allenlane.co.uk / 02030319634
* + £7,000 accountancy allowance