Sector: Local Government
Date posted: 16/04/2019
Salary: £400 - £450 per day
The purpose of this role is to provide financial and accounting support to the Council’s Programme Management Office (PMO). The PMO is leading a significant change programme for the Council, with plans in place for the next 2-3 years.
The role will provide strategic financial advice and support to senior managers, but will also need to be hands-on. Additional support will be available from the finance team, and an important part of this role will be liaising between the PMO and Finance Teams.
The role will ensure that officers and members are provided with high quality strategic advice and direction on financial strategies, policy, standards and practices, enabling Services to make timely and well-informed decisions in the knowledge of the impact those decisions will have financially on the Council.
- Maintain the financial governance processes within the PMO and ensure alignment with the wider Council framework
- Provide advice and guidance on best practice for all financial aspects of the PMO including accounting, planning and forecasting
- Prepare regular financial reporting for the Change Programme (Actuals, budgets, forecasts)
- Prepare ad hoc analysis for the PMO management team
- Further developing the quarterly detailed financial report for Change Board (incorporating all aspects of the MTFS as requested by Change Board)
- Continued monitoring of the benefit realisation for the programme
- Supporting the building of the business case for change to accompany the next MTFP
Skills and experience:
- CCAB Qualified accountant (CIMA, ACCA, CIPFA, ACA)
- Strong analysis skills, ability to manage large volumes of data and draw out relevant management information
- Strong presentation skills, ability to present financial information in an easily consumable format
- Experience of management accounting on projects and programmes as well as operational departments
- Ability to communicate with finance and non-finance personnel, conveying financial and commercial information in an accessible style
- Ability to challenge and influence across all levels of the organisation
- Must be comfortable working in a changing environment
- A good understanding of the overall financial and business context facing the Council / Local Authorities, their financial plans and medium-term outlook.
- Demonstrable experience of striving for excellent financial management and high financial standards.
- Experience of resolving complex technical accountancy issues within an organisational environment.
- Analysis and variance reporting of monthly actuals
- Monthly full year forecast across all live projects
- Maintain and report the formal allocation of central PMO budgets to individual projects
- Feed into medium term resource planning workstreams
- Work with finance to coordinate the approval process for the capital programme
- Prepare the annual 3 year financial plan for the PMO
- Support the PMO in calculating year end accruals
- Any other financial (strategic & operational) support and advice to the PMO / Change programme, as may from time to time be necessary.
You will have worked in a similar role before either within the public sector and have experience of supporting and being the finance link to a large transformation programme.