Interim Strategic Commissioner
Discipline: Project Management
Sector: Local Government
Date posted: 17/04/2019
Duration: 6 months
Salary: £500 - £600 per day
A London Borough are currently looking to recruit some Interim Strategic Commissioners for Children/Adult Services, to manage the delivery of commissioning, transformation and service improvement activity during the implementation of a new directorate.
They are looking to appoint a number of interims to this role, to manage the Directorate’s Commissioning, Transformation and Service Improvement activity with a focus on SEN and Children’s/Adults. Due to the current restructure, it will be essential that candidates are able to grasp the allocated projects quickly and ensure that these progress during a period of transition and change. Specific deliverables will vary according to the projects allocated to successful candidates.
- To lead and deliver a programme of commissioning (including procurement activity) and transformation projects of a combined portfolio worth c. £100m, providing ownership, leadership and expertise across the commissioning cycle to ensure that high quality services, desired outcomes and improved efficiencies are achieved. To regularly deal with a range of complex and contentious matters requiring a high degree of personal ability to influence and support key partners.
- To embed effective project, change and risk management frameworks throughout the commissioning cycle
- To build and lead cross-functional teams (including Procurement, Legal, Finance, the Contracts Team and Children/Adult Services colleagues) through a combination of direct line management and matrix management to ensure that maximum value and outcomes are achieved from commissioning and transformation projects
- To lead the development of service improvement, transformation and commercial awareness in service directorates and across the Commissioning Directorate and to facilitate the full engagement of key partners.
To lead and manage the end-to end delivery of the commissioning cycle:
- Assess: To proactively initiate commissioning and transformation activity based on robust analysis, ensuring that recommendations and decisions are evidence-based and congruent with wider drivers and priorities. Specifically to ensure the delivery of effective and robust spend analysis, market and vendor analysis, business performance analysis, need and customer analysis, service best practice and benchmarking analysis and alternative delivery and service model analysis to inform evidence based commissioning and transformation strategies/ plans
- Plan: To strategically shape and identify credible target outcomes as well as service design and delivery models within effective commissioning strategies and plans to drive innovation, saving propositions and service improvement. To underpin target outcomes with the development of robust performance management frameworks and develop clear roadmaps and programme delivery plans
- Deliver: To deliver commissioning and transformation strategies and plans through a robust programme plan, to ensure market development, technical procurement, service implementation/ contract mobilisation, performance management, savings and VFM realisation and change and outcome delivery
- Review: To ensure that effective performance management and contract management frameworks are embedded and result in strong service and commercial delivery. To ensure that service outcomes are routinely evaluated, monitored and delivered and identified savings and value for money is realised. To review wider category and vendor outcomes and to utilise intelligence into future commissioning and transformation decision making
- Extensive experience of successfully leading major commissioning, transformation and/or service improvement programmes across children’s/ adult’s services to deliver tangible outcomes
- A track record of successfully leading and managing cross-functional project groups to drive through significant efficiency savings or quality improvements as a result of more effective service design, commercial, contract or procurement practices whilst maintaining strong service outcomes
These role will be In Scope for IR35