IT Security Specialist
Sector: Local Government
Date posted: 17/06/2019
Salary: £42,684 - £45,585 per annum
Redbridge Council are looking for a CISSP or equivalent qualified security specialist (or someone on their way to achieving this qualification) who will take the lead in coordinating and validating IT security controls throughout the IT environment. You will work closely with the council’s Information Governance Manager to ensure that technical controls support the council’s information security policies, and will have the support of IT colleagues who have a strong collective commitment to maintaining the council’s exemplary security record. The council will invest in your training and development and give you opportunities to work with and learn from your peers across the London public sector.
Overall Role Purpose:
- Responsible for providing specialist advice on any information security issues and monitoring for evidence of security lapses or risks. Expresses an objective and independent view on infrastructure changes.
- Leads on the council’s response to potential or realised IT security incidents.
- Plans how the council will respond to IT security incidents when they occur, and ensures that those plans are tested, communicated and effective.
- Reviews all proposed changes in the IT environment and assesses and advises IT management on their security implications, including those where no security risk is assumed or imminent.
- Analyses the cause and nature of IT security incidents and proposes means of resolving them.
- Documents all IT security incidents fully, to ensure full accountability for events and the opportunity for the council to learn from experience.
- Takes the initiative in identifying potential security risks which may impact on the IT environment or on the ability of the council to carry out its functions, acts on these and reports them to interested stakeholders. This may include IT security events happening entirely outside the council’s environment
The IT environment at Redbridge Council is subject to continuous demands for change, whilst having to maintain compliance with several published, audited standards. You will be the independent scrutineer of proposed changes. The nature of security threats to the public sector change rapidly and you need to keep up-to-date on the significance of these evolving threats and must implement appropriate controls to protect against them. You will work closely with the Infrastructure Team but will be independent of them. You will be a key adviser to the Information Security Manager who is a member of the Legal Services department.
You need to have:
- CISSP or similar
- Experience of interpreting network and server monitoring products
- Security compliance standards (e.g. PSN, PCI)
- Understanding of GDPR
For an informal discussion about the role, please contact Louis Hall at Allen Lane on:
Louis Hall, Senior Consultant: 020 3031 9627 | firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com by Sunday 7th July.
The cover letter should be no more then two pages and should say why you are interested in the role and why you believe you are suitable.