Head of Payments
Date posted: 17/10/2019
Salary: £ Internationally competitive
Imperial College is one of the most respected and diverse education providers in the UK, with a historic legacy and an extraordinary reputation for excellence. We are seeking a new Head of Payments to lead and manage the payments process for all College expenditure. These payments are valued at £800 million including payments for payroll and pensions, bursaries, suppliers, staff and visitor expenses, royalty and other general payments.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Head of Payments will be responsible for driving our financial services strategy and performance culture. They will lead on continuous improvement initiatives in both systems and processes to improve customer satisfaction and mitigate the growing risk of payment fraud. Following the implementation of Oracle i-Supplier and any further enhancements to payment systems, you will be working with colleagues across finance and around the University to ensure best practice principles are embraced to ensure the College provides a first class service to staff and suppliers alike.
Working as a key member of the Finance senior leadership team you will have responsibility for ensuring our payments are made and protected in the most efficient and effective manner. You will also ensure that adequate resources are in place to maintain and foster positive relationships with our staff, visitors, contractors, and suppliers.
The role will report to the Director of Financial Services and Procurement, but will work closely with a range of senior stakeholders including Finance, Faculties, and Departments. Therefore, the successful applicant will need to have a consultative approach, with strong communication, negotiation, influencing, and analytical skills. Key responsibilities will include:
- Lead the delivery of the payments strategy to maximise and protect all existing and potential payment streams to enable the College to deliver its strategic aims and objectives and meet its mission
- Provide oversight and resources to ensure an excellent service of all payment activities across the College
- Lead, manage and motivate the payroll and pensions, supplier transactions, payments and compliance and finance hub teams, so that an outstanding payments service is provided to College and all external organisations
- Establish and lead on quality standards for the payments service and processes across all College operations to ensure seamless and sustainable delivery of services
- Provide meaningful expertise, advice and guidance for the Finance leadership team and other’s in the College’s leadership and management team as appropriate
- Lead the adoption of best in class processes and digital technologies so that we deliver excellent services to all of our staff, visitors, contractors and suppliers
We are looking for someone with a degree in a relevant discipline and/or someone who a qualified accountant. It is important that the post holder has demonstrable working knowledge of financial services with experience leading a payment function and/or payroll function and/or pensions function in a large, complex organisation. This person must also be a natural leader and have the ability to manage and develop large teams of 10+ people.
Head of Payments Package
- Internationally competitive salary
- Excellent pension scheme of 28.3% (USS Level 6)
- Holiday entitlement: 25 days + 8 bank holidays + 6/7 college closure days per year at Christmas and Easter (circa 46 days per annum)
- Interest free season ticket loan
- Childcare support scheme
- Health, safety and wellbeing incentives
- Learning and development opportunities are supported and encouraged throughout your career
Closing date: Friday 18th October
To find out more information about the organisation, the role and to receive the full job descriptions, please apply or contact Brooke Cooper at Allen Lane on email@example.com or 0203 056 1390. Applications close on Friday 18th October and interviews will follow shortly after. EARLY APPLICATIONS ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED.
Committed to equality and valuing diversity. We are also an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Two Ticks Employer and are working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.