Head of Finance: Chief Accountant
Sector: Local Government
Date posted: 25/10/2019
Salary: £75,949 - £85,313 per annum
Help shape the future of finance at Barnet
Barnets finance team are well on their way with a transformation journey, after insourcing the finance service, earlier in the year, they are now shaping the team and their service offering to best meet the Council’s aspirations. They have developed a new vision “To drive impact and create a better Barnet through innovative financial leadership”, and have since developed a fit-for-purpose structure and business plan to guide them along their journey.
They know to achieve their goals they need the support of their people and are therefore committed to investing in, developing and empowering the finance team. They want to develop a team that strives for excellence looking at continuous improvements and innovation. To do this they need a team that believes in collaboration, sharing knowledge, skills and experience across the team to achieve their goals.
To support this they are recruiting a number of roles across the finance service. They are looking for innovative individuals passionate about moving away from traditional accounting and focusing instead on adding value, looking at continuous improvement and accelerating pace. It is certainly a time of great opportunity and the roles promise a brand new challenge with many rewards. Included in the roles is a Head of Finance Chief Accountant.
The Head of Finance Chief Accountant will be leading the team looking at making improvements across Financial Accounting, Financial Controls, Fixed Assets, Capital Accounting, Systems Management and Digital Transformation. A key part of the role will be to develop a high performing finance team that is looking at continuous improvement. This will cover aspects including:
- Providing outstanding leadership and direction to the service, driving service transformation and ensuring excellent joint working with Members, senior officers and other stakeholders.
- Advising on investment and funding strategies including investment risk and performance.
- Establishing longer-term council-wide financial position and develop financial strategies with senior stakeholders
- Acting as a ‘bridge’ between financial reporting requirements for statutory purposes and financial reporting for decision making
- Being a key financial advisor and service delivery partner, providing strategic support and constructive challenge through superior negotiation and influencing skills
To be suitable for these roles you need to be a highly motivated, customer focused qualified accountant with excellent technical skills and a proven track record of driving through change. Previous experience of embedding a culture of continuous improvement within a large and complex organisation is also essential.
For more information on the role and Barnet Council please refer to https://allenlanerecruitment.wixsite.com/barnet. For an informal discussion regarding the position please contact Will Ryan at Allen Lane on 020 3031 9635.
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com by Monday 18th November. The cover letter should be no more then 2 pages and should include why you are interested in the position and why you believe you are suitable.