Senior Commercial Manager / Senior Procurement Manager
Sector: Central Government
Location: North West
Date posted: 23/12/2019
Salary: £60,000 - £70,000 per annum
Allen Lane is proud to be working alongside DEFRA Group Commercial (DGC) in there search for Senior Commercial Manager / Senior Procurement Manager within its infrastructure team.
Capital and maintenance expenditure on flood defences forms the core of the Infrastructure category, with an annual spend of over £300m. The category is characterised by large complex construction projects delivered through multi-disciplinary teams working collaboratively with suppliers, a collaborative approach to ongoing maintenance work and mobilising suppliers for major flood incident response. Your work and that of your team will directly support projects that better protect people and property from the devastating effects of flooding.
The Infrastructure category team is a geographically dispersed commercial team who work closely with our integrated project delivery teams to deliver value for money and reduce both commercial and sustainability risks. The role will involve actively managing the commercial teams and their interaction with the Programme Delivery Partners.
As Senior Commercial Managers you will be part of influencing and improving commercial delivery, management and capability in the Infrastructure category, and wider Defra group spend of c. £1.2bn per year.
You will also develop effective ways to promote sustainability and innovation across the Infrastructure category and wider function.
This role would suit someone with a experience of Construction or FM Procurement..
- Motivate and manage a professional commercial team to deliver corporate outcomes and to ensure continuous improvement.
- Lead on the development of team members ensuring that agreed targets are met.
- Mentor and coach team members on policies, procedures, practices and techniques equipping them with the knowledge and skills to deliver their work in an effective and efficient manner
- Contribute to project scrutiny and approval boards as required.
- Lead on commercial engagement on major projects and prescribed expenditure sub-categories or specialism, undertaking and leading on the end to end commercial DNA process on behalf of customers.
- Deliver & own Defra sub-category and category plans and develop market category expertise within portfolio.
- Deliver strategic, high risk, high value contracts and frameworks as part of a multi-functional team.
- Act as strategic lead on supplier relationship management within a given portfolio.
- Represent the Commercial team at senior management meetings and in Crown Commercial Service category meetings.
- Deliver customer outcomes whilst recognising the importance of supply positioning and supplier preferencing.
- Effectively influence customers across the network to deliver value for money, achieving savings targets and sustainable outcomes in the procurement of works, goods and services.
- Lead by example in our approach to sustainability and communicating its importance, influencing others to improve their approach. Ensure sustainability is considered throughout our work and is the responsibility of all.
- Provide expert advice on commercial risk management and deliver mitigation plans / strategies to manage identified risks at corporate level.
- Work with customer directorates to develop their commercial capability.
- Drive innovation in the network.
As well as providing a CV, applicants will need to provide a supporting statement of suitability demonstrating their capability to meet the essential criteria below. If you would like to discuss the role before applying then please call Becca Farnon on 0203 031 9628 for further information.
- The ability to demonstrate the implementation of the latest Category Management methodology and a clear demonstration of staying abreast of latest Category Management market trends
- Proven experience in influencing Senior Internal and External stakeholders
- Evidence of the ability to identify potential improvements and successfully manage changes that deliver great Commercial outcomes
- Experience of leading strategic contract award negotiations and resolving dispute resolutions through negotiation.
- Strong leadership capability, being able to illustrate how to successfully lead a team or manage a project
Timelines for Recruitment
Advert Open & Close: Closes 4th December 2019
Sift Meeting: 13th December 2019
Assessment Centre: TBC anticipated w/c 13th January
Final Panel Interviews: 4thFebruary 2020 (Leeds) and 06th February 2020 (Solihull)
Anticipated Outcomes: w/c 10th February 2020.