Head of Procurement and Social Value
Sector: Local Government
Date posted: 23/12/2019
Salary: £73,000 - £92,500 per annum
We were one of the first Councils to incorporate London Living Wage in all of our contracts and we also adopt the ethical care charter. We recognise that value is defined wider than just financially. We interpret value to capture the social, environmental and economic benefits for our Community and we will use our annual spending power of c£400m to help us achieve this.
As the the Head of Procurement and Social Value, you will be the head of profession for Camden; bringing business acumen to the organisation’s activity and optimising the Council’s delivery of procurement. You’ll be given the opportunity shape and own the council’s strategic plan for procurement and Social Value. Working closely with our partners, stakeholders and our supply chain, you will be responsible for embedding our Social Value Framework, improving the outcomes for our residents.
You will lead the development of significant commercial capability within the Council and significantly contribute to the delivery of our Camden Plan. Achieving savings within an increasingly lean environment will require the innovation enabled by this enhanced commercial capacity.
In addition to embedding commercial intelligence throughout the organisation, the post holder will manage a high quality, flexible and robust core procurement service. As the lead procurement advisor for Camden, the post holder work collaboratively with lead commissioners to consider various sourcing options and propose the most effective route for delivery
As Head of profession, you will provide professional leadership for the Council’s wider procurement community, and ensure and promote the professional competence of staff involved in procurement, commercial management, and partnering with other organisations by ensuring an enabling, outcomes focused approach.
- Working across the Council, you will forge and develop effective working relationships with the executive directors, senior management teams and Members providing specialist advice and direction.
- The post holder will drive and support the increased integration and forward planning of commissioning and procurement across the organisation. It will be vital to influence, advise and constructively challenge to achieve best possible outcomes for our residents through the Council’s considerable external spend. The post holder will advise senior officers and members on good business decisions based on experience.
- The post holder must have demonstrable advanced technical procurement knowledge and experience of procurement and commercial matters, which may include MCIPS or equivalent qualification.
- You must have demonstrable business acumen, and the knowledge of how to apply this to best advantage in a public sector environment
- Proven commercial experience of maximising high level savings and/or generating income in a complex organisation
- Substantial experience of successfully working with senior managers and stakeholders to develop and deliver organisational-wide procurement strategies and/or policies
- Experience of leading the management of risk in a public sector /political environment
Camden is located in modern award winning offices at Kings Cross overlooking the open space of Granary Square. You can expect an exceptional range of benefits including discounted access to the onsite Leisure facilities with swimming pool, recognising and rewarding high performance with progression and pay increase, flexible and agile working hours and benefiting from a leading pension scheme.
You can see full details of our excellent benefits at https://allenlanerecruitment.wixsite.com/camden/benefits.
Discover and Diversity
To “discover” more about Camden and our commitment towards diversity, equality and safeguarding, please visit our recruitment website:
How to apply
This is a fantastic opportunity for the successful candidate to really drive procurement across the Council so we are expecting a lot of interest.
For further information please head to or dedicated microsite https://allenlanerecruitment.wixsite.com/camden or for a confidential discussion please contact Vicky Power on 020 3031 9639. Please send your CV and supporting statements to firstname.lastname@example.org by 23:59 on the 6th December.
Camden and Allen Lane are committed to making our recruitment practices barrier-free and as inclusive as possible for everyone.