Date posted: 03/01/2020
Salary: Up to £80,000 per annum
What we do
From before they are born until they are into their twenties, we help disadvantaged children across the UK. We help them through fostering or adoption – and by intervening early to stop neglect and abuse. Our 7,000 staff and volunteers operate over 522 services, improving the lives of 301,000 children, teenagers, parents and carers every year. We have a vision that every child and young person in the country has a safe and happy childhood and the foundations they need to thrive.
Action for Children are looking for a Financial Controller who will work closely with the CFO to improve the quality of service, drive efficiency and effectiveness of Action for Children’s finance and accounting functions. This is delivered through clearly established procedures and application of effective financial controls which should also provide the necessary assurance. The successful candidate will have a functional role in the development of financial strategies, accurate recording of financial data, reporting to internal and external stake holders and to use the financial systems to their maximum effect.
Skills & Attributes:
- Fully qualified Accountant (ACA, ACCA,CIMA)
- Comfortable influencing senior stakeholders and working across a variety of stakeholder groups
- Significant post qualification experience gained in a senior capacity.
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal, in particular having the ability to explain complex financial matters to non-finance colleagues.
- Aptitude to prepare reports to Executives and Board
- Capability to question and critique to senior organisational colleagues, achieved through establishing credibility, and trust.
- Proficiency in using common accounting software as well as Excel
- Sound knowledge of accounting fundamental
- Excellent interpersonal skills
What will you need?
While previous experience in a charity organisation would be advantageous, someone with a good mix of public and private sector experience would also make an ideal candidate. You will possess finely-tuned people skills and the intelligence to enable you to build excellent working relationships with employees on all levels. In your previous roles, you will have demonstrated the ability to manage teams successfully and fostered a strong leadership persona. The successful applicant will have both proven experience in preparing final accounts and annual statutory financial statements with experience in finance management and the ability to deal with CEOs / CFOs and Board Directors. Managing a service to meet competing demands and demanding deadlines. Experience in guiding the year end closure of accounts and liaising with external auditors. You will have experience of introducing and applying compliance controls with a focus on assurance. Experience of supporting the development of financial strategy, and development of service standards and strategies.
The post-holder will be subject to a DBS check.
What are the rewards?
- Flexible working, including condensed hours and remote working available
- Minimum 29 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
- Company pension scheme, up to 7% employer match
- Season ticket travel loans
- Discounts at major high street retailers
We are committed to safer recruitment practices to protect our service users, therefore all applicants are expected to have an understanding of and commitment to safeguarding best-practice.
Action for Children is passionate about promoting equality, valuing diversity and working inclusively. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons particularly people with Disabilities and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic applicants, as these groups are currently under-represented in our workforce.