Principal Accountant (Capital)
Sector: Local Government
Date posted: 06/01/2020
Salary: £43,590 - £52,482 per annum
As London’s second largest borough and home to Heathrow, the world’s busiest international airport we have a challenging, high profile and unique agenda, against which we are committed to improving the service we deliver to our local residents. Hillingdon is changing fast and we are gaining a higher profile and stronger reputation with both local and central government and also with a wider audience.
The council’s strategy is based around “Putting our Residents First” allied to strong Financial Management which puts Finance at the centre of the Council’s decision-making processes, and to support this we have centred our Finance function on a business partner model that ensures financial advice and challenge is closer to services and to outcomes. The Business Partner roles within our teams underpin the theme of sound financial management, with financial advice and accounting expertise and facilitated by the development of our web-based budget management system.
The Principal Accountant – Capital will provide a key link between the management accounting and financial accounting requirements and ensure that implications of investment decisions are understood and captured in the Council’s Medium Term Financial Forecast. The role’s immediate priority will be on ensuring that the interactions between capital investment and revenue budgets are clearly documented and communicated to the organisation, while maintaining an overview of capital programme expenditure and financing. Key responsibilities include:
- Translating complex financial data to non-financial stakeholders and challenging financial decisions and financing options.
- Providing high quality financial advice to operational finance teams and service directorates to ensure technical compliance with accounting regulations.
- Provide the lead on asset accounting, capital financing and capital reserves within the Council’s Statutory Financial Accounts process,
- Taking responsibility for the finance fixed asset register, property valuation process and leading on production of capital accounts
- Ensuring a culture of putting our resident’s first and continuous service improvement is maintained.
To be suitable for the role you need to be a technically strong qualified accountant, with experience of translating complex financial data to non finance stakeholder. The ability to challenge financial decisions and financing options alongside an understanding of technical transactions is essential.
To see the job descriptions and for further information on Hillingdon Council please refer to https://allenlanerecruitment.wixsite.com/hillingdon. For more information or an informal discussion, please contact Will Ryan at Allen Lane on 020 3031 9635.
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com by Monday 27th January. The cover letter should be no more then two pages and should say why you are interested in the role and specific examples of your relevant experience.