Finance Manager – Projects
Sector: Local Government
Date posted: 24/01/2020
Duration: 6 months
Salary: £450 - £550 per day
My client is looking to supplement senior capacity within the Finance Team during a period of transition and change to enable delivery of business objectives across the organisation for the longer term.
The Finance Manager – Projects role will work closely with the Interim Head of Finance and the Divisional Finance Management Team across a range of corporate and service work streams. Projects and initiatives may focus within particular directorates or incorporate cross cutting work streams as well as reviewing contractual and partnership arrangements.
Key responsibilities and deliverables
Will include, but will not be limited to:
- Acting as the finance lead adviser to service directors on the development of a range of business cases to deliver robust future savings and income generation proposals.
- Ensuring robust financial governance arrangements in project development and delivery including but not limited to affordability, value for money, risk management and compliance with external funding conditions and relevant legislation.
- Undertaking financial and commercial review of project business cases in development as part of the council’s corporate budget setting process.
- Liaison with Corporate Directors, their management teams, finance and other support service professionals to develop deliverable service proposals which enable the Council’s objectives to be met from a lower cost base.
- To undertake cost and performance benchmarking exercises
- To develop the Council’s approach to activity based costing and outcomes based budgeting
- To work effectively with the substantive team to ensure skills and knowledge transfer during the period of the assignment to build longer term team resilience to support the Council going forward.
- CCAB qualified accountant with current full membership of professional accounting body and participating in CPD.
- Substantial experience and understanding of public sector finance, local government financial management, accounting and reporting standards.
- Knowledge and experience of driving modernisation and transformation in one or more of the following areas is required:
- adult and children’s social care,
- waste collection and disposal
- cultural and leisure services
- corporate services
- A track record of supporting and advising in relation to the following type of change programmes would be a distinct advantage:
- The development and implementation of alternative service delivery models (including strategic partnerships, CICs, separate company structures)
- Contract negotiation and dispute resolution
- Business process re-engineering in relation to financial management, administration and reporting
- Optimisation of financial systems to enable manager self-service, streamlined and efficient management and financial reporting.
- Working knowledge and experience of business case development and options appraisal techniques including Green Book appraisal.
- Experience of developing whole life costing models, operating complex payment mechanisms and effective risk management frameworks.
- In depth working knowledge of the financial and legislative framework applicable to service areas (eg social care, waste, capital accounting and financing regulations) and application of this knowledge in advising non-financial colleagues in the development and delivery of projects and service initiatives.
- Working knowledge of EU procurement regulations and awareness of state aid regulations.
- Flexible, adaptable, innovative and pragmatic approach to problem solving.. a solution focused and ‘can-do’ attitude.
- Proven track record of working with and advising external partners and stakeholders to successfully deliver to large complex projects involving multiple funding streams in a compliant manner.
- Ability to work effectively within the democratic process, with the political acumen and skills to develop productive working relationships that command confidence, respect and trust.
- A clear strategic thinker, able to make effective decisions in a complex and challenging environment.
This role is Inside IR35 and more money maybe available for exceptional candidate as is some flexible working