Commercial Manager / Procurement Officer
Sector: Central Government
Date posted: 04/02/2020
Salary: £32,905 - £38,580 per annum
Allen Lane are proud to be working alongside the Cabinet Office and HM Treasury in their search for a skilled Commercial Manager / Procurement Officer.
This is a unique opportunity to work across two of Government’s most central departments, delivering in a complex and varied commercial setting.
You will work across the Cabinet Office and HM Treasury Commercial Directorate leading and overseeing the implementation of strategies to keep the team working effectively and efficiently. You will work closely with the Commercial Director and help support them to develop and deliver a commercial operating model that creates greater efficiency, resilience, and consistency of approach across both Departments, and that embeds a stable and effective platform enabling delivery of a long term commercial strategy for the Directorate.
About the Team
This is an exciting time to be joining Cabinet Office & HM Treasury (COHMT) Commercial. The team is attracting increasing levels of investment to help shape the commercial landscape at the heart of government, to achieve effective commercial outcomes and to build commercial acumen across two key departments that work on some of the UK’s most important policy issues. The team is instrumental in developing and strengthening capability to embed a culture of commercial excellence supporting key operational and policy objectives. It works in partnership with all areas of the business and is a key influencer on strategic decisions, setting a direction of travel that is sustainable, embraces innovation, and ultimately delivers the greatest value.
You will play a key role in supporting the Director to deliver their vision of a highly functioning commercial directorate that enhances operational and policy delivery. You will be instrumental in the development and management of all commercial activity across the two departments through all stages of the procurement lifecycle. You will act as a trusted business partner, supporting commercial decision making and driving value for money.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Management and oversight of the relationship with Crown Commercial Service (CCS), so that Cabinet Office & HM Treasury can effectively and efficiently procure the goods and services it requires and has access to other related commercial services;
- Leading on the governance activity with the management of CCS, including but not limited to monitoring compliance of the delivery of services in line with the new Services Agreement, developing a collaborative relationship with key CCS contacts, and providing secretariat for regular strategic business review meetings;
- Providing front line commercial advice and bringing to bear the services of CCS to meet departmental requirements, involving identifying and resolving a range of commercial issues;
- Support the development of departmental commercial capability by taking a lead on discrete projects and championing new initiatives with colleagues and stakeholders on commercial best practice;
- Effective management of central departmental corporate contracts, in line with Government Contract Management Professional Standards;
- Raise awareness and understanding of policy through procurement initiatives – e.g. SMEs; Social Value; Modern Slavery; Sustainability; Compliance; Transparency;
- Providing support and training for the users
- Assess commercial data for both accuracy and audit purposes and provide input to management reports and other requests for information (including drafting responses to Parliamentary Questions and Freedom of Information requests);
- Managing departmental spend controls process and approvals.
Qualifications & Skills
The candidate will be expected to demonstrate the following experience and behaviours:
- Experience in a commercial and/or contract management role where you have demonstrated an analytical approach, good problem-solving and strong negotiation skills;
- Understanding of commercial, contract and supplier relationship management techniques and demonstrable experience of applying them in practice;
- Demonstrable experience of managing the delivery of multiple activities in parallel within a fast-paced environment;
- Understanding and application of governance and approval
- Experience of building and managing effective relationships with customers, suppliers and senior internal stakeholders
- Pro-active and forward thinking
Please apply now for further details.