Interim Management Accountants
Sector: Local Government
Location: South East
Date posted: 24/02/2020
Duration: 9 months
Salary: £385 - £450 per day
A Local Authority currently have a need for 2 interim Management Accountants. You will be responsible for the delivery of all aspects of operational financial management within your functional area. You will build strong relationships with internal and external partners and be able to competently influence, contribute and challenge, at a broad range of senior management forums to ensure financial forecasts and future budget plans are based on robust financial information. You will be a qualified professional with strong technical and systems knowledge to actively contribute and influence the decision-making process in relation to medium term planning.
- Responsible for the preparation, quality assurance, detailed analytics and trend analysis in the development of financial forecasts and future budget plans for services across the financial cycle ensuring they reflect operational and strategic objectives
- Leads, manages and motivates a finance team to deliver high quality financial information, analysis and provide constructive challenge to support budget holders. Understand customer needs and provide a greatly valued service.
- Ensure timely and accurate information and advice is in accordance with Financial Regulations and all accounting standards to ensure the effective management of budgets and future budget planning by all budget holders.
- Maintain a high standard of technical information to ensure your team by working closely with the Chief Accountant throughout the financial cycle in particular the closure of accounts.
- Work collaboratively with the Financial Systems & Processes Manager to support the Finance Hub arrangements and identify and develop system and process improvements to ensure the finance function delivers high quality outputs and information.
- Maintain a high level of service/function understanding across a function to be able to constructively challenge and influence internal and external partners.
- Advise on the development of cost drivers, the preparation of relevant and accurate financial models, estimates and forecasts to enable the function to highlight opportunities as well as the potential risks.
- To be the Finance expert coordinating understanding of a functions’ financial forecasting, modelling and budget planning processes across the financial cycle
- Implement and maintain effective financial management arrangements and promote the improvement of financial awareness, capability and practice to empower budget holders to deliver value for money services. Manage all areas of concern.
- Through a high level of service understanding and financial reporting support budget holders and finance business partners to prepare robust business cases, identifying and quantifying associated costs, benefits and risks.
- Manage the analysis, interpretation and support of financial and performance data to complete financial returns, questionnaires and information requests as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
Full CCAB and evidence of continuing professional development and expert knowledge in relevant professional area.
- Experience of working within the public sector, ideally within a local authority and have demonstrable experience working within the following areas: country parks, flood, waste, environment and economic regeneration.
- Knowledge & understanding of financial management and financial frameworks in a large organisation, preferably within the public sector.
- Experience of leading and managing teams.
- Experience of delivering improvements within a finance setting.
- Providing financial advice & support to management teams
- Experience of evaluating and supporting innovative and effective means of financing the delivery of large-scale services.
- Experience of working with others to build effective working relationships with finance colleagues and other senior managers.