Chief Accountant (Deputy S151)
Sector: Local Government
Date posted: 28/06/2020
Salary: £63,026- £75,885 per annum
Spelthorne is a successful place, with excellent transport links, unique employment opportunities, plenty of green open spaces where people want to live, work, and visit. But the Council recognises that there are areas to develop and has high ambitions for improving provision for its residents particularly with respect to addressing housing need. The Council’s Strategy has four key focuses to help make these improvements. These are sustaining economic development, ensuring financial stability, meeting the housing needs of its residents and providing a clean and safe environment.
To help with this and to ensure financial sustainability and improve economic development across the region they are recruiting for two roles including the Chief Accountant.
The Chief Accountant reports directly in to the Deputy Chief Executive (S151) and is responsible for leading the finance team, providing support for decision making across the Council and ensuring the provision of a high quality, effective professional accountancy service. Key responsibilities include;
- Providing financial advice, information and support to services
- Providing financial and accounting support for the Council’s £1 billion pound commercial asset portfolio and for the Council’s ambitious £300m housing delivery and regeneration programme
- Supporting the production of the Council’s 5 year Revenue Outline Budget projections
- Assisting the s151 Officer with the production and co-ordination of the revenue and capital budgets
- Managing the closure of accounts and the production of the Final Accounts
- Attend Overview and Scrutiny Committee, and Audit meetings in conjunction with the s151 officer
- Acting as a council director on the Council’s Spelthorne Environmental Services company
To be suitable for the role you need to be fully qualified with strong leadership’s skills and the ability to influence senior stakeholders. Previous experience within a local authority setting is ideal, but application from those in the wider public sector will be considered.
For more information about Spelthorne, the interview processes and to see the job description please refer to https://allenlanerecruitment.wixsite.com/spelthorne or contact Matthew Swindell 07921 337 926 or Will Ryan 07789 871 864 at Allen Lane on a confidential conversation.
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 15th June. The cover letter should be no more than 2 pages and should include why you are interested in the position and why you believe you are suitable.
Working towards equal opportunities