Director of Finance
Sector: Local Government
Date posted: 03/06/2020
Salary: £103,647 - £117,222 per annum
We are living through a time of unprecedented challenges here in Islington as we support our community through the Coronavirus crisis – and look ahead to working together to support our borough’s recovery.
So there couldn’t be a more important time to be joining us as we take our residents, our businesses and community on a new journey and to shape the future of Islington.
We’re determined to make Islington fairer. To create a place where everyone, whatever their background, has the opportunity to reach their potential and enjoy a good quality of life. To help bring our vision to life we have four clear objectives
- Decent and genuinely affordable homes for all
- Jobs and opportunity
- A safer borough for all
- A greener and cleaner Islington
The Director of Finance and Deputy Section 151, will make a key contribution to the corporate leadership and direction of the council, working collaboratively across the organisation to do this. They will be actively involved in, and able to influence all business decisions to ensure we’re fully considering all the immediate and long-term implications, opportunities and risks.
Key responsibilities will include;
- Promoting organisational change ensuring effective systems of performance development are in place
- Leading the development of the Council’s financial vision and strategy with long term oversight of the Council’s financial position
- Leading the annual budget setting and Medium Term Financial Strategy process, and ensuring it is appropriately integrated with the wider integrated planning process
- Building and promoting a culture of excellent financial management and value for money across the Council
- Providing useful, accurate and understandable financial advice to senior officers, elected Members, external agencies and government departments
The ideal candidate will be fully qualified with a proven track record gained in a large and diverse organisation, which demonstrates achievement at a senior, strategic & corporate management level. A demonstrable record of successfully managing change in a large organisation and the ability to develop and lead a high performing finance team are also essential. A comprehensive knowledge and understanding of local government finances is highly beneficial.
For more information on Islington and to see the job description please refer to https://www.islington.gov.uk/jobs-and-careers/chief-officer-vacancies/director-of-finance or contact Will Ryan at Allen Lane on 07789871864 for a confidential conversation.
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com by Monday 21st June. The cover letter should be no more than 2 pages and should include why you are interested in the position and why you believe you are suitable.