Deputy Chief Finance Officer (Strategic Planning)
Date posted: 12/06/2020
Salary: £ Competitive salary
Barts Health is one of the largest NHS Trusts in the country, and one of Britain’s leading healthcare providers.
Our group of hospitals provide a significant range of clinical services to people in east London and beyond. We operate from four major hospital sites (The Royal London, St Bartholomew’s, Whipps Cross and Newham) and a number of community locations, including Mile End hospital. Around 2.5 million people living in east London look to our services to provide them with the healthcare they need. With over 17,000 staff and a turnover of circa £1.7 billion in 2019/20, the group is one of the largest in the country. At the end of 2019/20, the Trust reported a deficit for the year of circa £73 million.
Barts Health is recognised both internally and externally to be on a journey of continuous improvement, exiting quality special measures in 2019 following a much improved CQC report across all of our sites, and a rating of ‘good’ for well-led at the Group level. We are confident that we will exit financial special measures in the very near future – which will be a remarkable turnaround in quality and financial stewardship, putting us on an excellent basis for further improvement. Exiting special measures prompts the next necessary step change in our improvement journey towards being an “outstanding” organisation and this role will be a key part of ensuring we achieve that ambition.
The Deputy Chief Financial Officer (Strategic Planning) will be responsible for:
- The delivery of effective medium and long term financial planning and establishing the annual financial parameters within which the organisation agrees annual budgets for Capital and Revenue.
- Be required to be externally facing and to have a wider system role to partner with organisations to maximise resources and collaborate on projects which benefit the Trust.
- Responsible for capital planning including the oversight of the development of a new hospital at Whipps Cross. This is one the 5 new hospitals being built across the country and so a unique opportunity.
- The development of effective costing systems that deliver service line reporting that is embedded within the organisational decision making and investment appraisal systems and that meet the regulatory reporting requirements of costing and reference costing.
- This role will oversee key non-patient income systems and plans including commercial, research and education programmes as well as leading on ad hoc financial interventions within the Group in Hospitals and Services facing challenges.
- Maximising the commercial activities of the Group to increase income, whilst retaining a patient first culture.
The successful candidate must be a strategic thinking, professionally qualified accountant with exemplary leadership skills, high standards and the ability to influence the board and their respective teams. You must be an assured and confident communicator who has the gravitas to influence and drive change across the organisation. Your significant post-qualification experience will have been gained within a large, complex and public sector organisation as an experienced and inspiring leader.
With a newly appointed Group CFO Hardev Virdee, this is a unique career opportunity to join a Trust which is having an enormous impact and one that is on an exciting trajectory. We are actively seeking a diverse pool of candidates to interview which reflect the communities we serve.
Please contact our recruitment partner Adrian Watts from Allen Lane to discuss this opportunity further. You can reach him on 0781 629 0865 or email@example.com and by sending your CV and supporting statement by no later than Friday 3rd July with interviews taking place week commencing Monday 27th July.