Head of Finance & IT
Sector: Central Government
Date posted: 21/08/2020
Salary: c. £75,000 per annum
The Legal Services Board (LSB) is an independent body responsible for overseeing the regulation of lawyers in England and Wales. Its goal is to modernise and improve legal services and the legal services marketplace by putting the interests of consumers at the heart of the system. This reflects the objectives of the statute that created it – the Legal Services Act 2007 (the Act). Its vision is legal services that everyone can access and trust. This role will be the most senior financially qualified person in the organisation, and a member of the LSB’s Senior Leadership Team.
The post holder:
- has responsibility to manage and deliver core corporate services such as finance, payroll and pensions, premises, our outsourced IT contract and procurement;
- provides strategic and operational support to the Accounting Officer to enable them to discharge their responsibilities as defined in Managing Public Money, ensuring that the LSB’s annual Business Plan is achievable within the agreed budgetary constraints and within the spending control framework as agreed with Ministry of Justice (MoJ);
- manages all aspects of funding under the Levy;
- provides support to the LSB Board and the Board’s committees – Audit and Risk Assurance Committee (ARAC) and Remuneration and Nomination Committee (RNC);
- manages key financial stakeholder relationships on behalf of LSB including our landlord, external and internal auditors and various teams within the MoJ (e.g. ALB Finance partners, Spending Controls team, Commercial and Contract Management Division, IT and Security);
- has responsibility for maintaining, updating and improving financial systems, processes and the internal control framework to ensure data and transactions are processed efficiently, accurately and securely.
Key responsibilities include:
Exercising financial control and governance over project finances – this work will include:
- management of the Annual Report and Accounts process and the annual audit;
- preparation of the annual budget and management of the budget accountability process;
- preparing monthly finance papers for the Board;
- ARAC support – preparation of papers, attendance at meetings implementation of agreed actions;
- RNC advice – pay remit, paybill budget etc;
- stewardship of internal accounting controls and regularity;
- Internal Audit – manage work plan and relationship;
- Corporate risk register – manage financial, IT and premises related risks and ensure issues are reflected accurately in the risk register. Develop and action appropriate mitigations.
- ensure compliance with MoJ reporting requirements and adherence to Spending Controls guidelines;
- accounting for the Levy and managing communications with approved regulators relating to Levy collection and other issues arising;
- contract and IT management (including premises);
Maintain strong relationships with stakeholders impacting on the finance and related services function, including HMRC.
The role will also require the postholder to build relationships with wider stakeholder community on financial issues e.g. providing information to front line regulators on cost incurred and forecasts.
Be confident to present to the Board, SLT and various committees on financial matters.
Currently manages one Finance and Resources Associate.
Skills and experience
- An accounting qualification: ACA, ACCA, CIMA, CIPFA or similar
- Public sector finance experience
- Five years’ plus experience in management and budgetary reporting
- Demonstrable experience of working with Boards and sub committees (e.g. Audit and Risk Assurance Committees and Remuneration and Nomination Committees)
- ALB / NDPB specific experience would be advantageous
- Experience of dealing with Civil Service departments
For more information please see our candidate pack.
We encourage all candidates to discuss the role further before submitting an application, In order to apply please submit a CV & cover letter (max 2 pages), please contact: Tim Salmon – 07921 335 786 / email@example.com