Head of Finance
Date posted: 11/09/2020
Salary: c. £60,000 per annum
I CAN is the leading children’s communication charity and our vision is a world where all children have the communication skills they need to fulfil their potential. Serving children and families for 130 years, I CAN today consists of two Ofsted ‘Outstanding’ special schools, Meath School (Surrey) and Dawn House School (Nottinghamshire); a social enterprise that develops and distributes a wide range of materials, training packages and interventions across the nation; the I CAN Help portfolio of information and advice for parents, carers and practitioners; and the hosting for The Communication Consortium of 36 charities and social enterprises in the field of children’s communications. I CAN’s mission is that no child should be left out or left behind because of a difficulty speaking or understanding.
We are looking for a new Head of Finance to join a small, yet busy, Finance team in our central London office, based in Islington. You will be the most senior finance practitioner in the organisation, be part of the Charity Finance Group and will be part of a key, highly regarded finance function.
This is an exciting time to join our organisation. We are seeking an experienced senior finance professional, who is a qualified accountant, to support the effective delivery of our strategy and plan, whilst ensuring robust financial planning and management. He/she would be the organisation’s most senior finance professional and would work closely with our senior management team, our operations and our schools.
A lot has happened in the last two years. We have taken significant costs out of the organisation, implemented a new income generation strategy, embarked on an ambitious school management programme and undertaken significant research into children’s communication issues. I CAN is changing day by day so there’s never been a more exciting time to join us whilst adjusting some of our priorities in the light of Covid-19. We need talented individuals to help shape our future and truly make a difference in the lives of children and young people with communication difficulties.
The ideal candidate will be confident in ensuring that all our financial planning is robust, financial goals are achieved, our financial audits are carried out on time, our key performance indicators measure the right activities and that we achieve value for money from our procurement and purchasing activities.
The successful applicant will be able to actively demonstrate:
- CCAB or CIMA qualifications with evidence of continuous professional development.
- Excellent financial planning skills.
- Senior financial management experience including management accounts, audit management and statutory accounts preparation.
- Robust communication skills and a track record of building collaborative and trusting relationships with staff and suppliers.
- Good business analysis skills with the ability to communicate financial and business issues to non-financial audiences.
- Trouble-shooting skills with the ability to ably identify key themes and issues with a solutions mindset.
- Advert Closing Date: Sunday 27th September
- Shortlisting: Thursday 8th October
- Stage 1 Interviews: Week commencing 12th October
- Stage 2 Interviews: Week commencing 19th October
For more detailed information about the role, please view our dedicated Candidate Pack.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please send your CV and supporting statement to ICAN@allenlane.co.uk or contact Bryony Feeney on 02035428393 for an informal conversation.