Head of Finance – Adult Social Care
Sector: Local Government
Location: South East
Type: Fixed Term Contract
Date posted: 21/09/2020
Duration: 12 months FTC
Salary: Up to £91,000 per annum*
A Local Authority one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, are continuing to manage its Covid-19 response and is focused on transformational recovery. This role will drive the delivery of a high performing, customer focused service, being proactive and creatively looking for ways to shape future services.
As the Head of Finance you will play a significant role, leading financial strategy for the portfolio and ensuring exemplary decision making and financial planning in the medium to long term.
As a strategic leader you will have the ability to build strong internal and external working relationships, influencing other senior leaders. Driving strategic financial planning and direction in the Adults functional leadership team will maximize opportunities for insight and innovative solutions.
- Accountable for the development of financial strategy for Adult Social Care, providing intelligence and insight on the likely financial consequences and highlighting risks on commercial decision making.
- Accountable for determining key financial information regarding existing commercial and income generating operations. Leading commercial insight which enables the business to make ‘stop, grow, enter’ decisions relating to asset sweating, income and profit generation.
- Accountable for providing insight which enables functions to ensure payment of income. Actively leading and managing the optimisation of income recovery and creative ways to test ‘means to pay’.
- Work collaboratively with Directors in commercial negotiations to achieve the best possible value for money outcomes. Develop strong and influential relationships with national and regional organisations
- Responsible for driving cost reduction plans across the Council and meet strategic objectives. As a financial expert influence corporate management board and elected members on financial plans, monitoring performance and determining financial risks.
- Accountable for sector wide finance collaboration, building networks to make the local authority a leading edge organisation for financial policy and practices. Working closely with regional finance groups, CIPFA and other relevant bodies to identify impact assessment on new policy decisions.
- Lead from a financial and commercial perspective in ensuring that all the local authorities proposals contributing to the strategic change agenda are viable, represent value for money and have the support of external stakeholders.
- Influence senior management direction and decision making on financial and wider performance issues, deriving information and statistics from a wide range of sources.
- Ensure all areas of financial risk to the Council’s service delivery are adequately identified, quantified and reported and take steps to mitigate these.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- CCAB Qualified with expert knowledge in financial support to the Adult Social Care area.
- Knowledge and understanding of strategic financial management and financial frameworks in a public sector setting
- Engaging and working with senior leadership teams, providing strategic financial advice and critical decision-making. Identifying and delivering innovative and effective means of financing the delivery of large scale services.
- Developing and managing financial management systems.
- Proven track record in forging a highly performing and motivated finance team from diverse backgrounds and the ability to lead and influence multi-disciplinary teams at senior management level to achieve strategic objectives.
- Ability to establish credibility with Executive Directors, their management teams, Cabinet Members and other key stakeholders. Build strong working relationships with finance professionals across and outside of the organisation.