Head of Architecture & Design
Sector: Central Government
Date posted: 13/11/2020
Salary: £80,000 - £101,000 per annum
High Speed Two (HS2) is one of the most demanding and exciting transport projects in Europe. They are seeking an outstanding Head of Architecture & Design to join on a permanent basis as a member of their Senior Leadership Team.
This role is responsible for leading the design, development and delivery of high-quality IT systems and strategy across the business, now and in the future. The Head of Architecture & Design ensures HS2 has the required capabilities of Service Design and Technical architecture. The role’s purpose is to influence, lead and mentor others, while assuring best practice standards are set and maintained at all times.
As Head of Architecture & Design, you will ensure HS2’s DDaT operating model is based on industry best practice, with an insight-led approach which will provide HS2 with the latest Digital, Data and Technology services, delivering ‘‘value for money’ to enable business capabilities.
The Architecture & Design Function will coordinate the design and implementation of HS2’s IT Strategy and leads the population / development of the agile Enterprise Architecture Framework, delivering coherent and consistent domain architecture and roadmaps across the domains of; application, technology, information and security.
The successful candidate will have overall responsibility for leading the Architecture & Design Function, comprising of internal HS2, its partners and external resources. Maturing the capabilities of the function and maintaining enough capacity to meet business demand.
You will be accountable for informing and governing the department, and for budget planning and forecasting of the Enterprise Architecture. You will lead in defining an agile Enterprise Architecture Framework and responsible for leading technology and vendor selection processes.
Required criteria of the Head of Architecture & Design will include:
- Ability to coach and lead teams in Agile and Lean practices
- Ability to design IT systems for use across multiple services and identify the most effective approach out of a variety of approaches
- Knowledge of strategic enterprise architecture technological trends, and their practical application
- Knowledge of IT Operating Model best practice, development and implementation methods and approach
- Knowledge of capability maturity model integration, process and behavioural models in the context of Architecture and Design
- Experience of developing, mobilising and maturing an Architecture and Design function, end to end, within a complex or highly regulated environment with multiple stakeholders
- Experience of sharing and using the best practice User Centric Design to keep teams informed and on track to deliver the best possible project outcome
- Experience of defining and working with an Enterprise Architect framework in a Platform, Product or Services environment
- Experience of delivering complex/challenging IT capabilities, acting as an expert management of risk
- Experience of using a variety of methods of prototyping
- Experience of using architecture and design tooling
- Experience of prioritising spend based on return on investment
- Experience of producing Management and Business Information reports, for the purpose of governance and audit requirements
- Experience of collaborating with or managing suppliers and vendors
HS2 are looking for an inspirational leader who can communicate effectively and operate flexibly while inspiring a diverse workforce. You will have excellent influencing skills and the ability to collaborate across boundaries. You will be able to create a clear business direction which is aligned to the HS2 goals, while using sound business judgement to ensure value for money and innovation. You will be able to grow talent, taking risks with growth opportunities for high potential performers.
HS2 is an inclusive employer and offers equal opportunities to all regardless of an individual’s age, disability, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation.
Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest in the role. Applicants will be required to provide a covering letter with details of how your experience and skills meet our essential criteria. The closing date for applications will be Monday 23rd November, so early applications are encouraged.