Sector: Central Government
Type: Fixed Term Contract
Date posted: 30/11/2020
Duration: 2 years FTC
Salary: £49,796 - £60,593 per annum
Allen Lane are working with the National Audit Office (NAO) in their search for an excellent Azure Developer to join on a 2 year fixed term contract (reviewed after 1 year).
The NAO is the UK’s main public sector audit body. Independent of government, they have responsibility for auditing the accounts of various public sector bodies, examining the propriety of government spending, assessing risks to financial control and accountability, and reviewing the economy, efficiency and effectiveness of programmes, projects and activities. They report directly to Parliament, through the Committee of Public Accounts of the House of Commons which uses our reports as the basis of its own investigations. The NAO employ circa 800 staff, most of whom are qualified accountants, trainees or technicians. They work in one of two main areas, financial audit or value for money (VFM) audit.
The principal responsibility of the Azure Developer is to join the Audit Transformation Programme (ATP) and support the team to deliver the programme’s objectives over the next 2 years. The ATP will deliver organisational change through the implementation and adoption of revised methodology, processes and tools for Financial Audit within the NAO.
As Azure Developer you will be responsible for:
- Development of integration components for off-the-shelf and bespoke digital solutions
- Developing, configuring or customising software solutions to meet the user needs, producing clean, efficient, secure and well-tested architectural solutions
- Ensure that solution development follows the digital roadmap and architectural principles
- Support the development of PoCs, configuration of tools and development of applications
- Collaborate with the Business Analysts and technical leads to support the translation of requirements, user stories and updated methodologies in to working application solutions.
- Where appropriate, ensure standardised approaches are used, including error handling and audit tracking, alongside the development and execution of test plans to ensure tasks are working as expected
- Ensure documentation of design and development work
- Finding ways to improve system robustness, resilience, stability and integration
- Knowledge sharing with team members, mentoring and coaching junior colleagues and looking for opportunities to collaborate and reuse components
Skills needed for this role:
- Availability and capacity management. You can manage the service components to ensure they meet business needs and performance targets. (Relevant skill level: working)
- Development process optimisation. You can explain the importance of developing process efficiency and the common ways in which processes are optimised. You can support specific activities to improve development processes. You can spot or identify obvious deficiencies. (Relevant skill level: awareness)
- Information security. You have an appreciation of information security. You can design solutions and services with security controls embedded, specifically engineered as mitigation against security threats as a core part of the solutions and services. (Relevant skill level: practitioner)
- Modern standards approach. You can competently use a modern standards approach and guide others in so doing. (Relevant skill level: practitioner)
- Programming and build (software engineering). You collaborate with others when necessary to review specifications and use these agreed specifications to design, code, test and document programs or scripts of medium to high complexity, using the right standards and tools. (Relevant skill level: practitioner)
- You see prototyping as a team activity, actively soliciting prototypes and testing with others. You establish design patterns and iterate them. You know a variety of methods of prototyping and can choose the most appropriate ones. (Relevant skill level: practitioner)
- Service support. You can help fix faults following agreed procedures. You can carry out agreed maintenance tasks on infrastructure. (Relevant skill level: working)
- Systems design. You can translate logical designs into physical designs. You can produce detailed designs. You know how to document all work using required standards, methods and tools, including prototyping tools where appropriate. You can design systems characterised by managed levels of risk, manageable business and technical complexity, and meaningful impact. You can work with well understood technology and identify appropriate patterns. (Relevant skill level: working)
- Systems integration. You can build and test simple interfaces between systems, or work on more complex integration as part of a wider team. You can support integration testing activities (Relevant skill level: working)
- User focus. You know how to collaborate with business SMEs and can represent users internally. You understand the difference between user needs and the desires of the user. You can champion user research to focus on all users. You can prioritise and define approaches to understand the user story, guiding others in doing so. You can offer recommendations on the best tools and methods to be used. (Relevant skill level: practitioner)
Our client is looking for applicants with a proven track record of working in technical teams on development and implementation of cloud solutions in CI/CD environments with an understanding of CD processes. You will have experience in developing new solutions, migrating legacy applications to the cloud and integrating internally built components with off-the-shelf products. Strong experience of delivering back-end development with front-end/full stack experience preferable.
Candidates should have expertise of working in teams using Agile methodologies and frameworks (Scrum, Kanban, Lean). You will be a team player who has facilitated knowledge sharing and collaboration. You will have experience in using DevOps tooling, preferably Azure DevOps.
Our client is an inclusive employer and offers equal opportunities to all regardless of an individual’s age, disability, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation. The organisation welcomes applications from the BME and LGBT communities who are currently under represented within the organisation.
Candidates who declare that they have a disability and who meet the essential criteria for the job will be offered an interview.
Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest in the role. Applicants will be required to provide a covering letter with details of how your experience and skills meet our essential criteria. The closing date for applications will be Thursday 3rd December, so early applications are encouraged.