Finance & Assurance Services Director
Sector: Central Government
Date posted: 06/01/2021
Salary: c. £85,000 per annum
We are delighted to be supporting the DVLA with this Board Level positon, leading the finance & assurance teams.
The Finance and Assurance Services Director has overall responsibility for financial strategy, financial control, financial planning and the assurance strategy and framework.
You will be a key member of the DVLA Board, responsible for setting out DVLA’s financial strategy working with HM Treasury and the Department for Transport. You will lead a senior management team in the Finance and Assurance Services directorate made up of financial controls, finance business partnering, strategic modelling, financial reporting, business planning and change governance and assurance. You will be able to inspire and support the Finance and Assurance Services directorate of over 150 people and be able to lead this highly-skilled Finance team in securing the investment needed to deliver best in class motoring services, overseeing the business and financial planning cycle, driving maximum return on investment and holding the organisation to account for meeting financial targets. You will support the Chief Executive in her Accounting Officer role by overseeing the management of risk and assurance, ensuring that the organisation meets the very highest standards of governance and control and fully complies with all government rules.
The Finance and Assurance Services Director will:
- act as a corporate leader to the whole organisation, creating a one team approach to delivery.
- As a key member of the Executive team and Board, the Finance Director will be fully involved in the decision making and directional activities of that Board
- provide strong leadership to the Finance and Assurance Services directorate team
- secure the funding to deliver current and future business plans with overall responsibility for the investment programme, championing prioritisation to achieve maximum payback
- oversee the negotiation of financial provisions with the Department for Transport and HM Treasury
- ensure that DVLA meets its financial targets by managing costs and effective financial planning
- develop the agency’s financial strategy to support the delivery of the business plans
- oversee the delivery of assurance and opinion to the Agency Accounting Officer [CEO] on controls, governance and compliance with all mandatory requirements
- oversee the development of assurance strategy to ensure that the highest standards are met and are in line with best practice and government strategy
- The role holder must be Consultative Committee of Accountancy Bodies (CCAB) qualified.
- Experience of working at Executive Board level in a finance director role.
- Strong people leadership, creating a Finance and Assurance team that is seen as exemplary in the provision of Finance and Assurance and a place where Finance professionals want to be.
- Experience of a senior financial role within an organisation going through a significant period of change.
- Experience of working in an organisation with a similar size of financial activity as set out in the About DVLA’ section.
- Experience of financial leadership in a complex transformational environment using agile delivery methods.
- Experience of developing financial strategy.
- Sound experience of financial management with the ability to drive best value for money.
- Strong track record of confidently engaging and working with senior stakeholders.
- The ability to anticipate and predict economic, political, environmental, social and technological impacts and to be able to shape that into strategies and plans for the organisation
- Ability to network effectively, negotiate well and influence people and broker relationships with stakeholders within and outside the organisation.
Please see our candidate pack for more information: https://www.allenlane.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Candidate-Pack-DVLA.pdf
For an initial discussion about the role, please get in touch with Tim Salmon on 07921335786 or email DVLA@allenlane.co.uk