Head of Organisational Development
Sector: Central Government
Date posted: 01/04/2021
Salary: Grade 6 £62,122 - £74,091 per annum
The DBS was established as a Non-Departmental Public Body (NDPB) under the Protection of Freedoms Act (PoFA) 2012. The DBS provides access to criminal records information through its disclosure service for England and Wales and makes independent Barring decisions (for England, Wales and Northern Ireland) about people who have harmed, or where there is considered to be a risk of harm, to a child or vulnerable person within the workplace.
DBS has recently launched an ambitious 2025 Strategy with the employee proposition being a key part of its agenda. The organisation is undergoing a period of complex change and transformation which requires a HR & OD function that can support and deliver the people strategic objectives of DBS. The DBS has a clear ambition to become an employer of choice and deliver a best in class employee experience.
The post of Head of Organisational Development (OD) is primarily responsible for leading the delivery of an innovative and outcome focused Organisational Development service across DBS. Developing the service to meet strategic objectives, working in partnership with managers and leaders to develop progressive OD projects, frameworks and initiatives. As a key member of the HR&OD management team, the post holder will work collaboratively with colleagues and the HR&OD Director to develop the overall function’s services and positioning as a strategic and value adding department.
The role will provide specialist expertise to the HR & OD Director, and the Strategic Leadership Team in the development of organisational culture, performance and talent management, leadership, employee engagement and all aspects of organisational change and development. Leading a specialist team of OD and learning practitioners in the development and delivery of workforce projects and initiatives across the organisation aligned with the DBS 2025 Strategy and the DBS Organisational Development Plan.
The development, implementation and leadership of a DBS learning Academy is also within the scope of this post, providing tailored learning and development solutions across DBS, building leadership and management capability and creating a foundation for a longer-term positioning as a centre of excellence for providing specialist learning and development services to DBS partners.
The post will manage a team of 8 including an Academy Manager, Senior OD Project Manager and OD Practitioners, and will be responsible the financial planning and budget management of OD initiatives.
- In partnership with the HR & OD Director and Strategic Leadership Team scope out the Organisational Development plan, ensuring it is aligned to the strategic direction and ambitions of DBS. Develop organisation-wide implementation plans, outlining terms of reference. Key deliverables, stakeholders, and resource implications.
- Lead the development and implementation of the corporate Organisational Development and Learning & Development Plans and Policies managing implementation against agreed time frames, budget and reporting against agreed performance measures
- Lead the OD team in the design of interventions to drive the appropriate culture, behaviours, skills, and high-performance required by the DBS vision and strategy. Providing insight and leadership on change management approaches, planning and implementation.
- Deputise for HR&OD Director at relevant senior meetings and committees, as a when required.
- Manage the OD budget, ensuring effective financial planning and forecasting takes place to deliver the OD Plan, ensuring robust controls are in place to monitor spend and produce financial reporting as required.
- Produce reports for SLT on OD initiatives, providing insight and making recommendations. Adhering to the relevant governance arrangements and proving reporting and information for the relevant committees such as Change Management Committee (CMC).
- Act as a role model for our Equality and Diversity agenda, creating an inclusive environment that is safe and trusting; where people feel valued, have a voice and act with autonomy
- Manage health and safety issues in your area of responsibility in line with the relevant section(s) of the relevant Health and Safety Policy
Essential: Degree or equivalent level qualification.
Desirable: Post Graduate qualification in Human Resources, OD or equivalent.
The successful candidate will be a fully qualified member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD).
- Extensive experience leading organisation development teams and providing a substantive OD service.
- Demonstrable experience of developing organisation wide interventions that align and integrate structure, capacity, systems, process and culture to meet strategic priorities.
- Experienced operating in a regulatory agency or non-departmental public body (NDPB) preferred but not essential
Skills and Personal Qualities
- Strategic thinking, planning and analysis skills, with the ability to develop creative solutions to support the management of change and mitigate associated risks
- Excellent relationship management, influencing, facilitation and presentation skills
- An expert people manager with the ability to build, lead, coach and retain a cohesive and high performing team.
- Presence and credibility to work with the SLT team and senior colleagues across the organisation
For more information on this role and the DBS please visit our dedicated micro-site – https://allenlanerecruitment.wixsite.com/dbscampaign
To discuss the role please contact Tim Salmon – DBS@allenlane.co.uk / 07921 335 786