Head of Financial Decision Support
Sector: Central Government
Date posted: 01/04/2021
Salary: Grade 6 £62,122 - £74,091 per annum
The post of Head of Financial Decisions Support is primarily responsible for leading the Financial Decision Support team, encompassing finance business partnering and financial planning and strategy. As a key member of the Finance Leadership Team, the post holder will work collaboratively with colleagues to ensure customer/stakeholder needs are met, along with public accountability expectations, legislation and professional standards.
As the DBS is a member of the Home Oﬃce family, you will work closely with other members of the Home Office Finance community. Building relationships with people in Home Oﬃce will be key to ensuring DBS and Home Oﬃce expectations, systems and processes are aligned.
You will also play a pivotal part in the design and development of the finance strategy, to support delivery of the DBS 2025 Strategy. Leading and supporting a team of 6 including 5 Finance Business Partners and an Assistant Finance Business Partner, you will implement a Strategic Finance Business Partnering Model to ensure effective resource capability to support the delivery of our strategy.
- Lead the finance business partner team, providing direction and influence that ensures the team has the required capacity, capability, processes and systems to deliver its objectives.
- Partnering with Senior leaders and executives to ensure they receive the information and support they need to fulfil their financial responsibilities and make decisions effectively and be a source of expert and strategic financial advice.
- Responsible for reporting the financial position at a strategic level to provide insight and analysis of the key issues and risks and opportunities to senior management, providing the full picture.
- Deputising for the Director for Finance and/or representing the function, including at SLT, its committees, and in meetings with external stakeholders.
- Lead the development of the DBS Financial Strategy, including a mid-term financial plan which supports the organisation overarching strategy and captures impacts and benefits of investment proposals.
- Ensure organisation wide financial planning and analysis is developed to support regular reviews of pricing and the setting of product fees which meet the organisations funding and regulatory requirements.
- Review fee levels, ensuring the development and adoption of an appropriate product costing methodology, and lead the process to propose and secure approval for changes as required (based on projections of demand and costs), including working with Home Office and HMT to secure the legislative changes.
- Implement and develop the Finance Business Partner function to support and challenge budget holders and managers to ensure they effectively use resources to meet demand, performance targets and business plan priorities.
- Proactively building effective and influential relationships with senior stakeholders including Directors and DMTs, providing clear and considered advice on financial management, planning and strategy.
- Providing robust financial advice, support and analysis to support strategic decision-making. Influencing the development of strategies and adding value by ensuring that financial advice is integrated into their decision making.
- Constructively challenging the use of resources in meeting demand, performance measures and business plan priorities. Proactively supporting budget managers and holders to find solutions, ensuring maximum benefit is achieved and the right balance between economy, efficiency and effectiveness.
- Supporting in-year budget and forecasts, ensuring the plans are credible, expenditure is with approved delegated limits, and in line with HMT’s Managing Public Money and Consolidated Budgeting Guidance.
Essential: Must hold an accounting qualification from a recognised CCAB accountancy body or CIMA
- Leading and developing a finance team with broad responsibilities in a changing environment of comparable scale or complexity
- Expert finance business partnering skills
- Financial planning and modelling skills, with experience developing/analysing commercial models and providing commercial finance advice
- Development and maintenance of financial strategy and a mid-term financial plan
- Provide advice on complex accounting issues
- Developing financial frameworks and procedures
- Experienced operating in a regulatory agency or non-departmental public body (NDPB) preferred but not essential
Skills and Personal Qualities
- Strategic thinking, planning and analysis skills, with the ability to develop creative solutions to support the management of change and mitigate associated risks
- Excellent relationship management, influencing, facilitation and presentation skills
- An expert people manager with the ability to build, lead, coach and retain a cohesive and high performing team.
- Presence and credibility to work with the SLT team and senior colleagues across the organisation
- Highly organised and able to plan and manage a broad portfolio of activities
- Resilience in challenging circumstances: ability to work under pressure, remaining calm but decisive.
- Highly effective communicator in person, in writing and in electronic media.
For more information on this role and the DBS please visit our dedicated microsite – https://allenlanerecruitment.wixsite.com/dbscampaign
To discuss the role please contact Tim Salmon – DBS@allenlane.co.uk / 07921 335 786