Head of Operational Finance
Sector: Central Government
Date posted: 01/04/2021
Salary: Grade 6 £62,122 - £74,091 per annum
As the Head of Operational Finance, you will be responsible for leading and managing the Operational Finance team, encompassing Financial and Management Accounts and Accounts Receivable. As a key member of the Finance Leadership Team, you will work collaboratively with colleagues to ensure customer/stakeholder needs are met, along with public accountability expectations, legislation and professional standards.
As the DBS is a member of the Home Oﬃce family, you will work closely with other members of the Home Office Finance community. Building relationships with people in Home Oﬃce will be key to ensuring DBS and Home Oﬃce expectations, systems and processes are aligned.
You will lead and support a significant team through a range of grades, to ensure effective resource capability to support the delivery of our strategy.
- Lead, manage and develop the Operational Finance team, providing direction and influence that ensures the team has the required capacity, capability, resilience, processes and systems to deliver its objectives.
- Provide expert financial advice at a strategic level, including on complex financial matters.
- Provide oversight of an effective and robust financial internal control environment.
- Build develop and maintain good working relationships with key stakeholders including Home Office, Government Internal Audit Association (GIAA), the National Audit Office (NAO) and others.
- Establish and monitor appropriate departmental KPIs in line with DBS Strategic Objectives.
- Work closely with the Director of Finance and the Finance Lead team in supporting financial strategy and planning, wider organisational initiatives, continuous improvement and engagement activity.
- Support the Head of Financial Decision Support during business planning, budget setting and ongoing forecasting, ensuring the processes and systems are in place.
- Provide financial risk management, including monitoring, controls and mitigating actions.
- Lead financial controls and processes and ensure the DBS remains within all budgetary and delegated limits, and adheres to HMT’s Managing Public Money and Consolidated Budgeting Guidance
- Ensuring an effective and robust internal control environment for DBS Finance is implemented and maintained, including supporting reconciliations and reporting.
- Ensure appropriate DBS’ finance policies and procedures are implemented, adhered to and regularly reviewed, ensuring compliance with latest standards, regulatory and stakeholder requirements
- Leading on the Implementation of new Accounting Standards, Legislation and Government and/or Home Office controls.
- Leading policy and oversight of the capitalisation, depreciation and disposal of non-current assets and leases.
- Development and production of the monthly management accounts and supporting the Finance Business Partner team with financial reporting which provides insight for decision making.
- Working collaboratively with the Finance Business Partner team and wider organisation, ensure that credible and accurate budgets and forecasts are developed and reported on that withhold scrutiny through to Board level and other key stakeholders
Essential: Must hold an accounting qualification from a recognised CCAB accountancy body or CIMA
- Leading a finance team with broad responsibilities in a changing environment of comparable scale or complexity
- Successfully executing statutory and regulatory reporting requirements
- Preparing annual reports and monthly management accounts (IFRS experience preferred)
- Providing advice on complex accounting and tax issues
- Developing financial policies, frameworks and procedures
- Experienced operating in a regulatory agency or non-departmental public body (NDPB) preferred but not essential
Skills and Personal Qualities
- Strategic thinking, planning and analysis skills, with the ability to develop creative solutions to support the management of change and mitigate associated risks
- Excellent relationship management, influencing, facilitation and presentation skills
- An expert people manager with the ability to build, lead, coach and retain a cohesive and high performing team.
- Presence and credibility to work with the SLT team and senior colleagues across the organisation
- Highly organised and able to plan and manage a broad portfolio of activities
- Resilience in challenging circumstances: ability to work under pressure, remaining calm but decisive.
- Highly effective communicator in person, in writing and in electronic media.
For more information on this role and the DBS please visit our dedicated microsite – https://allenlanerecruitment.wixsite.com/dbscampaign
To discuss the role please contact Tim Salmon – DBS@allenlane.co.uk / 07921 335 786