G7 Senior DevOps Engineer
Sector: Central Government
Location: Manchester (occasional trips to London) / London
Date posted: 21/09/2021
Salary: £49,700 - £80,000 per annum*
This is a brilliant opportunity to join Cabinet Office as a Senior DevOps Engineer, supporting the team in running the central data platform across the Department and No. 10.
As an integral member of the Data Operations Team, you will harness the power of data as a key driver for government decision making and gaining reliable insight from across HMG. You will join a diverse team of highly skilled people responsible for operating the Discovery, Science and Insight platform.
In joining the team, you will have the opportunity to shape and develop the platform and capabilities, while positively influencing a culture in its early establishment.
The Data Operation Team will bring together a unique set of skilled people, capabilities and experience from across HMG, to operate and support highly visible programs such as Situation Centre, Covid-19 and Winter Risks. You will work with partners across government to innovate and experiment with new technology and analytical techniques to aid decision making.
Applicants should be prepared to work in an innovative, collaborative and dynamic environment, where teamwork sits at the heart of an inclusive culture. This is a brilliant opportunity to work in the heart of government, for government on their biggest challenges.
You will have the ability to problem-solve in challenging and fast-paced situations, providing pragmatic solutions to complex business problems. You will have clear communication skills, with an ability to communicate complex/technical issues to non-technical audiences.
In order to be effective as a Senior DevOps Engineer, applicants must display the following:
- Experience designing and implementing secure and scalable cloud platforms to support industry best-practice trends
- Excellent grasp of cloud solutions using one or more of the major cloud providers (AWS), ensuring best practice on compliance and security
- Recent and extensive experience of the AWS platform (at least 3 years) – professional level certificates desirable
- Experience with the application development lifecycle, including source code management, application build, test and deployment
- Hands-on experience designing DevOps engineering tooling, CI/CD pipelines and deployment automation/orchestration processes (using Jenkins, Teamcity or other managed/self-hosted solutions)
- Infrastructure-as-Code experience, using tools such as Terraform or CloudFormation
- Scripting/Configuration-as-Code experience, such as Python, Ansible, Groovy, Bash and Powershell
- Experience working with agile methodologies in software development life cycle projects
You will be assessed based on the following Behaviours:
- Making effective decisions
- Working Together
- Developing Self and Others
- Professional credibility as a Principle DataOps Engineer
- Communicating technical data and analysis for effective decision making
Applicants will be required to provide an up to date CV and supporting statement (up to 1,250 words) detailing how you meet the requirements and behaviours listed above. In addition, a diversity monitoring form must be submitted to form a complete application, this form will be provided by Allen Lane.
Read the full job description here.
Please download and complete a diversity monitoring form when applying.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This role is located in London or Manchester (with occasional travel to London). Applicants will be required to undertake a BPSS security clearances prior to starting the role.
*any offer made above the base grade will be made up with a specialist pay allowance