SEO Technical Writer
Sector: Central Government
Date posted: 23/07/2021
Salary: £37,300 - £40,635 per annum*
Are you ready to join a Government department undergoing an exciting and significant Digital Transformation? Cabinet Office are seeking the appointment of a permanent Technical Writer to help support the ambition to make UK Government digital services the best in the world.
As Technical Writer you will join the Technical pillar, which provides, maintains and supports the IT services (infrastructure, telephony, network, WiFi, end-user devices, cloud capability and software) relied upon by the entire Cabinet Office.
You will lead on technical communications on key infrastructure-related services, ensuring outstanding internal communications on complex, technical concepts to a broad range of staff.
The appointee will be expected to take a user-centred approach to make complicated technical concepts easier to understand for the wider Cabinet Office audience. In this role, you will work closely with subject matter experts such as network, server operation engineers, technical architects, Google Cloud engineers, technology leaders and the delivery team to create engaging content to communicate changes to the wider Cabinet Office users as well as develop technical documentation using a variety of tools.
This is a brilliant opportunity to influence how the Technology Pillar communicates to thousands of staff based across the UK, developing communication templates and workflows that ensure the right level of information is provided to the right people at the right time, as part of providing an excellent IT service at the heart of government.
In order to be effective as Technical Writer, applicants must display the following:
- Experience using WordPress and Google Workspaces (e.g. Google Forms and Groups) to understand, prepare and publish/communicate new or updated information
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of technology and the user needs of technologists to effectively translate and write technical communications or documentation for infrastructure related services to a non-technical audience
- Strong interpersonal skills, both written and verbal, specifically in relation to extracting knowledge from technical and process experts
- An ability to work in a fast-paced environment and deliver to deadlines while coordinating work across distributed teams, identifying the most appropriate means of communication (e.g. written vs. visual)
- Understanding of agile working practices and working with agile teams
You will be a positive and proactive individual, happy to operate at pace when required. You will be prepared to push-back on poor documentation practices and accept constructive feedback from peers.
You will be assessed based on the following Behaviours:
- Making effective decisions
- Delivering at pace
- Changing and improving
- Communicating and influencing
Applicants will be required to provide an up to date CV and supporting statement (up to 1250 words) detailing how you meet the requirements and behaviours listed above.
To apply, please email email@example.com.
This role will be located in Manchester with hybrid approach of office and remote working. Applicants will be required to undertake security clearances prior to starting the role. This role requires CTC clearance, which would normally require 5 years’ UK residency in the past 5 years. This is not an absolute requirement but supplementary checks may be required where individuals have not lived in the UK for the required period.
*any offer made above the base grade will be made up with a non-pensionable specialist pay allowance based on capability.