G7 Senior ServerOps Engineer
Sector: Central Government
Date posted: 20/09/2021
Salary: £49,700 - £57,000 peranum*
Are you ready to join a Government department undergoing an exciting and significant Digital Transformation? Cabinet Office are seeking the appointment of a permanent Senior ServerOps Engineer to help support the ambition to make UK Government digital services the best in the world.
As Senior ServerOps Engineer, you will join the Technology Pillar which provides, maintains and supports the infrastructure, telephony, network, WiFi, end-user compute, cloud capability and software across the entire Cabinet Office estate. Our user base includes the Cabinet Office, Crown Commercial Services, Estates and Government Property Agency.
You will work within the Cloud Platform and Operations team, working closely with the Technical Architects in designing/maintaining existing server infrastructure, and carrying out upgrades and problem resolutions. Senior ServerOps Engineer will have the responsibility to create and maintain documentation, change management and root cause analysis as well as acting as an escalation point for the Live Service.
The successful appointee will be required to fulfil a range of duties, including:
- Work with service providers to troubleshoot issues through to resolution
- Directory Services, PKI, System Centre, Event Log Management, Security and Integrity, Compliance, Patching, Monitoring, Change Control, Project related requirements
- Maintain and monitor all network, security and computer systems to meet the organization’s current and future requirements
- Responsible for management, maintenance and architecture of storage, virtualized environment, servers and productivity tools
- Monitor systems and identify performance issues proactively
- Work within strict time frames and escalate incidents with any 3rd party suppliers within defined timeframes
- Test all changes to hardware, software, and hosted applications
For a comprehensive list of the duties, please view the job description.
In order to be immediately effective as Senior ServerOps Engineer, applicants must demonstrate the following essential skills and experience:
- Strong experience managing and administering Windows Servers
- Strong experience working with Active Directory and related services such as DHCP, DNS, PKI, LDAP and Group Policy
- Strong experience managing and administering Linux Servers
- Experience implementing planned changes to infrastructure
- Understanding of print services and administration of managed print systems
- Experience analysing system performance data
- Microsoft SQL server administration and MySQL
- Understanding of VMware and clustering, HA and network load balancing
- Knowledge of Powershell scripting
- Experience in Citrix or Remote Desktop Services implementation and administration
- Experience of supporting infrastructure services for 10000+ users
- DBA skills
- Experience in IaaS/PaaS Compute such as AWS,GCP or Azure (Certification preferred)
- MCSA Windows Server qualified
- MCTS in SQL server, Active Directory or Network and Windows Client
- ITIL certification
- SCCM and Microsoft System Centre knowledge
- Familiarity with legislation pertaining to Government/ Public Sector IT
- SC clearance preferred
Please note that this role requires a minimum SC clearance, which would normally require 5 years UK residency in the past 5 years.
Applicants will be required to provide an up to date CV and supporting statement (up to 1,250 words) detailing how you meet the requirements and behaviours listed above. You will also provide a completed diversity form.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download our Diversity Monitoring Form
Download the full job description here
*any offer made above the base grade will be made up with a non-pensionable specialist pay allowance based on capability.