G7 Head of Financial Accounts
Sector: Central Government
Location: Liverpool / Darlington
Date posted: 25/08/2021
Salary: £50,654 - £60,481 per annum
The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) was established under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 on 1 December 2012, operating from two sites, Liverpool and Darlington.
We provide disclosure functions in England, Wales, Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man, and barring functions for England, Wales and Northern Ireland, on behalf of government.
DBS operates within the safeguarding arena alongside our multi-agency partners. Safeguarding means protecting people’s health, wellbeing and human rights, and enabling them to live free from harm, abuse and neglect.
We provide services that enable organisations in the public, private and voluntary sectors to make better informed, safer recruitment decisions. We do this by providing information to enable them to determine whether individuals are unsuitable or unable to undertake certain work, particularly with occupations involving regular contact with vulnerable groups, including children.
DBS has a number of strategic objectives:
- Provide high quality, reliable, consistent, timely and accessible services for our customers
- Embrace technology to drive improvements to the quality of our work
- Develop a talented and diverse workforce that understands how their contributions help to achieve our objectives
- Build a flexible, vibrant and contemporary workplace where our staff will be able to do their jobs using modern ways of working that are smart and which promote OneDBS
- Raise awareness of DBS and the services we offer, keeping people informed through our communications, to increase public understanding and confidence in our organisation
- Be a respected and trusted organisation, working with our partners to play an influential role in the environment in which we operate
As the Head of Financial Accounts, your role will be lead the Financial Accounts team, providing guidance and support in establishing a controls-based environment, to provide advice, and develop policies, to ensure compliance with accounting standards, tax regulations, and other government financial reporting requirements
The Head of Financial Accounts is a senior member of the Finance team and is responsible for providing an efficient, effective and high-quality professional service meeting all reporting requirements.
- Effectively and proactively lead, manage and motivate the Financial Accounts team ensuring that there is a culture of high performance, strong engagement and a commitment to continuous improvement
- Lead and manage the Financial Accounts team, providing direction and influence that ensures the team has the required capacity, capability, processes and systems to deliver its objectives
- Develop and monitor financial controls for all financial areas, ensuring the accuracy, integrity, consistency & quality of the DBS general ledger
- Lead the development of DBS’ finance and accounting policies, ensuring compliance with latest standards, regulatory and stakeholder requirements
- Support the Head of Operational Finance in the provision of technical guidance to all internal stakeholders and in the preparation of accounting papers
- Lead the development and delivery of the annual finance timetable, encompassing but not limited to monthly management accounts, annual budgets, forecasts, regulatory and stakeholder returns as required
- Lead and manage the timely preparation of all regulatory and stakeholder (including Home Office consolidation) reporting
- Lead and manage the preparation of the annual audited financial statements, and supporting working papers, while maintaining good and open relationships with external auditors, ensuring no material issues arise within the external audit
- Oversee the preparation of the monthly cash flow forecasting to ensure that the 3-month (working capital) cash requirement is not breached
- Oversee and manage all Financial Accounts activities including any centralised requisitioning, journals and reconciliations, as well as the effective stewardship and compliance reviews.
- Act as a key point of contact with external auditors and effectively manage the external audit process.
- Ensure appropriate departmental KPIs are prepared and reported on a timely basis
To discuss the role please contact Tim Salmon from Allen Lane Recruitment – DBS@allenlane.co.uk / 07921335786
Closing date – 14th September
Shortlisting – 20th September
Interviews – w/c 27th September