Cyber Security Manager
Sector: Central Government
Location: Bootle, Cheltenham or London
Date posted: 03/09/2021
Salary: Up to £70,421 per annum
We are seeking an exceptional leader to join the Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR) in the role of Cyber Security Manager, to lead ONR’s corporate cyber security function.
This is critical role is responsible for leading and delivering a wide range of operational cyber security activities. Working closely with ONR’s Chief Information Security Officer (CISO), you will lead and develop a small team of cyber subject matter experts. As Cyber Security Manager, you will take on a crucial leadership role, facilitating joined-up working across the wider Corporate Security function and IT.
ONR is the UK’s independent nuclear regulator with the legal authority to regulate nuclear safety, security and conventional health and safety at 36 licenced nuclear sites in Great Britain. Our staff are drawn from an eclectic range of professional background, from civil and mechanical engineering to nuclear physics. ONR’s responsibilities include assessing safety cases, inspecting nuclear sites, regulating transport of nuclear and radioactive materials, and representing the UK and ONR within the wider International nuclear community.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a modern, transparent regulator delivering trusted outcomes and value. You have the opportunity to play your part in ensuring nuclear safety and security through the delivery of an outstanding cyber security function.
As Cyber Security Manager, you will report into the CISO. The post holder will play an important part in managing and delivering the operational cyber security capabilities for ONR. Your duties will include (but not limited to):
- Be the primary point of contact on cyber security issues with key stakeholders, including external parties, and actively develop strong working relationships in relation to Cyber Security
- Lead on the day to day cyber security operations for ONR to ensure the confidentiality, integrity, availability and accountability of ONR’s digital information and systems
- Ownership of cyber security incidents and problems, proactive resolution, and ensure that solutions continue to meet security and business requirements
- Managing, leading, building and developing a small internal cyber team
- Proactively seek areas of improvement within cyber security and continually drive improvement, working closely with our managed security service provider
- Collaborate effectively across all corporate security domains, IT and wider ONR
- Provide regular and ad-hoc reporting to the CISO on all cyber security matters
- Attend regular Security Operations Centre briefings to monitor cyber security incidents
- Keep abreast of new and emerging threats
- Lead on the governance, risk and compliance aspects for cyber security, supporting colleagues within corporate security
In order to be effective in post as Cyber Security Manager of a wide-reaching and influential organisation, it is essential applicants provide evidence and proven examples across the following selection criteria (but not limited to):
- NCS approved, or similar, degree in cyber security – or equivalent professional experience
- Security accreditation e.g. CISSP, CISM, SSCP, CCSP, CSSLP or equivalent
- Experience of successful cyber security delivery and management in a similar organisation
- Substantial experience of managing the operational cyber security of cloud-based platforms such as O365, Azure, AWS
- Good working knowledge of modern cloud architectural techniques
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of HMG security policy and NCSC security guidance with experience of implementing cyber security policies according to best practice
- Proven verbal and written communication skills
- Significant experience in the leadership and management of a similar function with specific experience of designing and implementing cyber security capabilities and in working closely with all stakeholders
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
Further information on the role duties and person specification can be found in the candidate pack, to request this please email ONR@allenlane.co.uk.
This role is available as full-time permanent appointment to be based from one of ONR’s offices in Bootle (near Liverpool), Cheltenham or London, with travel throughout the UK to be expected. The successful applicant will have access to the Civil Service pension scheme, 25 days per annum leave allowance and be required to work a minimum of 37 hours per week.
The successful applicant will need to hold or obtain DV clearance before appointment.
To find our more, please download our Candidate Pack.
You can also find our Diversity monitoring form here.
For an informal confidential discussion about the role please contact Ed Stroud at Allen Lane on 07920 104 751.
Application submissions (CV, supporting statement of no more than 2 sides and diversity form) should be submitted to ONR@allenlane.co.uk. It is mandatory that your application includes a completed diversity monitoring form.
Closing date for applications: 23:59 on Sunday 26th September 2021.
ONR is committed to being an inclusive employer and we welcome and encourage applications from all applicants. We will make reasonable adjustments and adaptations to ensure the recruitment process is inclusive and barrier-free. We will offer an interview to disabled people who meet the minimum criteria for the role.