Associate Director of Legal Services
Sector: Central Government
Location: North West | North East
Date posted: 23/09/2021
Salary: Grade 6 £62,122 - £74,091 per annum
As one of two Associate Directors in the Legal Services Team, you will report to the recently appointed Director of Legal Services.
You will work closely with the Director and Associate Director in leading and developing the growing Legal Services Team, ensuring that the DBS meets all statutory and regulatory requirements.
You will provide proactive and solution-focused strategic and advisory support in relation to a broad range of legal matters. You will identify risks and opportunities, and oversee the legal support provided to the DBS to enable it to make effective and timely decisions against a complex statutory framework.
An important aspect of the role will be leading a team of lawyers and support staff in relation appeal applications to the Upper Tribunal made by individuals in respect of DBS barring decisions. You will be the client’s lead contact in respect of this large body of litigation.
The role will also support the Director of Legal Services in advising the Board and the Strategic Leadership Team. You will deputise for the Director as required. As a key leader of the Legal Services Team, the post holder will work collaboratively with colleagues to ensure that customer/stakeholder needs are met, along with public accountability expectations, legislation, and professional standards.
As the DBS is a member of the Home Oﬃce family, you will work closely with other members of the Home Office legal community. Building relationships with colleagues in the Home Oﬃce will be key to ensuring the DBS and Home Oﬃce expectations, systems, and processes are aligned.
You will also play a pivotal part in the design and development of the legal strategy to support delivery of the DBS 2025 Strategy.
The successful applicant will be effective in:
- Providing effective and inspiring leadership of the Legal Services Team through day-to-day management, guidance, and influence to ensure that the Team has the required capacity, capability, processes, and systems to support the delivery of the DBS 2025 Strategy.
- Leading the Barring Appeals work, including: managing the day-to-day litigation process; identifying, developing, and implementing process improvements; supervising lawyers and support staff in relation to the conduct of cases; dealing with service issues; and, managing relationships with external advisers.
- Acting as line manager for lawyers in the Legal Services Team, including responsibility for effective performance management and development.
- Deputising for the Director of Legal Services and/or representing the Legal Services Team at Board meetings, Strategic Leadership Meetings, Committee Meetings, and meetings with external stakeholders.
- Advising key stakeholders in relation to a broad range of complex legal matters and legislation, ensuring that the support provided both personally and by the Team is of the highest quality.
- Ensuring that the DBS’ business is conducted in line with statutory obligations and strategic considerations.
For more information on this role and the DBS please visit our dedicated microsite: https://allenlanerecruitment.wixsite.com/dbscampaign/ass-director-legal-services
Applications close at 23:59 on Sunday 10th October. A CV, supporting statement and completed diversity form will be required.
To discuss the role please contact Tim Salmon – DBS@allenlane.co.uk / 07921 335 786