Head of Change and Business Improvement
Sector: Central Government
Location: Hybrid approach with option to work remotely, with base at any HSE office. Travel to other offices will be required on occasion, including our HQ in Bootle.
Date posted: 26/10/2021
Salary: £65,387 - £72,857 per annum
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is seeking a permanent Head of Change and Business Improvement. This is an outstanding opportunity to support improved work-related health and safety in Great Britain.
Reporting to the Deputy Director of Transformation, the post provides a challenging opportunity for an experienced Change Leader to help implement our ambitious roadmap of business transformation. The successful candidate will be responsible for the day-to-day management of HSE change activities, ensuring that the right expertise, support, and frameworks are in place to enable the successful delivery of change and new ways of working. A critical part of the role is to act as a senior change lead across HSE, driving awareness and understanding of change management and best practice across the organisation to build knowledge and optimise delivery.
The Head of Change and Business Improvement is responsible for leading a team of delivery and product managers, change experts, service and organisational design professionals, business analysts, supplier managers and practice leads. The team varies in size depending on demand and is currently circa. 60 FTE made up of a blend of permanent, seconded and contractor resources. We are also working with a growing number of expert partners across the portfolio and a key factor of the role will be to manage and work closely with suppliers, ensuring effective delivery and value for money, whilst working in partnership and facilitating knowledge transfer to our internal teams. The successful candidate will help in the ongoing development of the team, ensuring that we have in place the appropriate skills, capabilities, and blend of resources to effectively support and deliver change portfolio, and the future HSE TOM.
The successful candidate will be an experienced change professional with at least 5 years hands-on and management experience, and be able to demonstrate:
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to build, maintain and motivate high-performing teams that deliver at pace
- Experience in successfully designing, delivering, and implementing large scale change programmes, ideally in the public sector, improving the user experience, improving service quality, ensuring service and professional standards compliance, and allocating and managing limited resources against competing demands
- Experience in balancing an exceptional user experience with the needs of the business
- Analytical thinking and critical evaluation, with experience in applying practical business analytics in a complex, multi-channel, multi-disciplined environment
- Solid understanding of the principles of operational excellence and how to ensure new ways of working are successfully implemented and embedded
- Exceptional communication skills and the ability to build consensus and relationships among managers, external partners, and senior stakeholders
Further information on the role duties and person specification can be found in the candidate pack, to request this please email HSE@allenlane.co.uk.
This role is available as full-time permanent appointment, and the successful appointee will work in a hybrid way, with the ability to work remotely whilst being based from one of HSE offices across GB. The successful candidate will be required to travel on occasion, including to our HQ in Bootle. The successful applicant will have access to the Civil Service pension scheme, 25 days per annum leave allowance and be required to work a minimum of 37 hours per week.
For an informal confidential discussion about the role please contact Ed Stroud at Allen Lane on 07920 104 751.
Application submissions (CV, supporting statement of no more than 2 sides and diversity form) should be submitted to HSE@allenlane.co.uk. It is mandatory that your application includes a completed diversity monitoring form.
Closing date for applications: 23:59 on Sunday 21st November 2021.
HSE is committed to being an inclusive employer and we welcome and encourage applications from all applicants. We will make reasonable adjustments and adaptations to ensure the recruitment process is inclusive and barrier-free. We will offer an interview to disabled people who meet the minimum criteria for the role.