Head of Portfolio Management Office
Sector: Central Government
Location: Hybrid approach with option to work remotely, with base at any HSE office. Travel to other offices will be required on occasion, including our HQ in Bootle.
Date posted: 26/10/2021
Salary: £65,387 - £72,857 per annum
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) are seeking a permanent Head of Portfolio Management Office (PMO) – this is an outstanding opportunity to support improved work-related health and safety in Great Britain.
In the wake of Brexit and as a response to the Grenfell tragedy, HSE are expecting to grow and mature significantly as an organisation in the years ahead. This post provides a challenging and exciting opportunity for an experienced PMO professional lead the HSE’s Corporate Portfolio Management Office and to support our ambitious roadmap of transformation, focusing on operational and regulatory excellence and improving the user experience.
The Head of PMO is part of the Senior Leadership Team of HSE’s Operational Service Division (OSD). OSD is responsible for HSE’s business and digital transformation, the programme and project management support and assurance, and for key front-line delivery operations. You will be playing a key role in the delivery of the existing programmes and the development of the TOM and ultimately, its execution. HSE work in a blended resourcing model environment, with teams made up of permanent, contractor, and partner resources. HSE need to build upon, and develop, their existing in-house capability to ensure that they have the right skills and experience to deliver their ambitious plans.
Reporting to the Deputy Director of Transformation, the post provides a challenging opportunity for an experienced PMO Leader to help implement our ambitious roadmap of business transformation. The successful candidate will provide leadership for the PMO, developing its strategy and direction, to achieve an efficient and trusted portfolio management function, which drives decision making about portfolio composition and delivery strategy.
You will be responsible for cost and benefit management, programme assurance and governance, and will play a key role in driving standardised and best practice project and programme management methodologies and approaches across the organisation. You will support the HSE Portfolio Board, ensuring that insightful portfolio analysis is undertaken and presented, allowing for evidence-based decision making. The Head of PMO is responsible for leading a team of PMO professionals, and Programme and Project Managers. The team varies in size depending on demand and is currently c.25 FTE, the successful candidate will help in the ongoing development of the team, ensuring the appropriate skills are in place to support the future HSE TOM.
As the Head of PMO, your duties will include (but not limited to):
- Leading HSE’s Corporate PMO
- Playing a key role in developing HSE’s Portfolio Management Framework to support effective governance and management of programmes and projects
- Leading and facilitating the ongoing development and implementation of HSE’s Change Delivery Framework
- Managing HSE’s corporate project pipeline ensuing business cases for change are well defined and managed centrally, including as acting as chair for HSE’s Change Review Group
- Maintaining overall integrity and coherence of HSE’s portfolio plan ensuring all dependencies, risks and issues are understood and managed accordingly
In order to be effective in post as Head of PMO at a crucial time for HSE, it is essential applicants provide evidence and proven examples across the following selection criteria (but not limited to):
- Demonstrable track record as an experienced PMO professional with at least 5 years hands-on and management experience
- Experience of successfully developing and leading a PMO assurance and delivery function that drives evidence-based decision making
- Experience in ensuring service and professional standards compliance, and allocating and managing limited resources against competing demands
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to build, maintain and motivate high-performing teams that deliver at pace
- Experience of developing and managing the delivery of programmes and projects, balancing pace with tight resource constraints, and often conflicting priorities
- Ability to embed a collaborative working culture across diverse multi-disciplinary teams (within and beyond line management)
- Ability to lead from the front and forward plan within a changing organisation
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to convey ideas via strong written, verbal communication and presentation skills to all levels of seniority and disciplines within the organisation
- Ability to work under pressure, whilst maintaining a sense of perspective of HSE business needs
- Outstanding problem-solving skills, the ability to work with focus and pace, adapt to ever-changing environments and react quickly to emerging challenges
- High levels of motivation, commitment and passion
Although not essential, applicants with experience of matrix management of teams and individuals across multi-project, complex environments will be of particular interest. Further desirable criteria includes experience in successfully delivering projects and programmes that comply with Government Digital Standards.
Further information on the role duties and person specification can be found in the candidate pack, to request this please email HSE@allenlane.co.uk.
This role is available as full-time permanent appointment, and the successful appointee will work in a hybrid way, with the ability to work remotely whilst being based from one of HSE offices across GB. The successful candidate will be required to travel on occasion, including to our HQ in Bootle. The successful applicant will have access to the Civil Service pension scheme, 25 days per annum leave allowance and be required to work a minimum of 37 hours per week.
For an informal confidential discussion about the role please contact Ed Stroud at Allen Lane on 07920 104 751.
Application submissions (CV, supporting statement of no more than 2 sides and diversity form) should be submitted to HSE@allenlane.co.uk. It is mandatory that your application includes a completed diversity monitoring form.
Closing date for applications: 23:59 on Sunday 21st November 2021.
HSE is committed to being an inclusive employer and we welcome and encourage applications from all applicants. We will make reasonable adjustments and adaptations to ensure the recruitment process is inclusive and barrier-free. We will offer an interview to disabled people who meet the minimum criteria for the role.