Frontend Developer (GovWifi)
Sector: Central Government
Location: Bristol / Manchester
Date posted: 14/01/2022
Salary: £49,700 - £56,524 per annum
Are you ready to join a Government department undergoing an exciting and significant Digital Transformation? Cabinet Office are seeking the appointment of a permanent Frontend Developer to help support the ambition to make UK Government digital services the best in the world.
This role sits within the Change and Deliver team in the CDIO. They are responsible for leading and supporting the delivery of excellent digital services and digital transformation changes with business units across the Cabinet Office, acting as an internal agency. This is an exciting opportunity to work on a wide variety of projects from high profile public-facing sites to internal digital transformation projects. The variety, scope and impact of these projects is unrivalled.
As a Frontend Developer on GovWifi you’ll:
- work as part of a multi-disciplinary agile team, getting involved with every part of the lifecycle of a service, from user research to deploying code to production
- build accessible, robust and performant user interfaces, taking responsibility for the quality of the code you produce
- write automated tests, and carry out cross-browser/device and accessibility testing
- share your knowledge and experience with your team and with the wider frontend and technology communities
- share your work and the things you’ve learned through blog posts and show and tells, with the option of presenting at conferences and meetups
- support the live operation of the services we run, and participate in out-of-hours support rotas where necessary – you’ll be paid an allowance, and a further hourly payment, for any duties you perform when on call
- help recruit other developers and, where appropriate, getting involved with sifting and interviewing
Key skills and experience
- have experience working with Ruby and Ruby on Rails, and especially building interfaces using the framework and asset pipelines
- understand the importance of building interfaces that work for as many users as possible, regardless of their needs
- write clean, accessible code following a progressive enhancement approach
- understand and follow software design principles
- are able to identify and help resolve web performance and security issues
- have experience using the command line to carry out basic tasks, and using version control to manage source code
- take a systematic approach to solving problems
- understand agile environments and version control
- are able to research and learn new programming tools and techniques
- have experience working in a collaborative environment, ideally as part of a multi-disciplinary agile team
- know how to make complex and technical information and language simple and accessible for non-technical audiences
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- working together
- changing and improving
- making effective decisions
This is a rolling campaign. Sifting of CV’s and interviews will be held weekly. Please submit your CV immediately.
Applicants will be required to provide an up to date CV and supporting statement (up to 1,250 words) detailing how you meet the requirements and behaviours listed above. You will also provide a completed diversity form.
View the full job description here.
To apply, please email email@example.com.
Cabinet Office are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our organisation. You can find out more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion and read our equal opportunities statement on our Diversity and Inclusion page.
Please note that this role requires SC clearance, which would normally require 5 years’ UK residency in the past 5 years. This is not an absolute requirement but supplementary checks may be required where individuals have not lived in the UK for the required period. This may mean that your security clearance (and therefore your appointment) will take longer or, in some cases, not be possible.