Senior Delivery Manager – Programme Governance
Sector: Central Government
Location: Bristol or Manchester
Date posted: 20/12/2021
Salary: £49,700 - £56,524 per annum
Are you ready to join a Government department undergoing an exciting and significant Digital Transformation? Cabinet Office are seeking the appointment of a permanent Senior Delivery Manager specialising in best practice programme and project management methodologies and governance to help support the ambition to make UK Government digital services the best in the world.
This role sits within the Change and Digital Delivery team in the CDIO. They are responsible for leading and supporting the delivery of excellent digital services and digital transformation changes with business units across the Cabinet Office. This is an exciting opportunity to work on a wide variety of projects from high profile public-facing sites to internal digital transformation projects.
As a senior delivery manager, you will implement the Change and Digital Delivery programme and project delivery methodology, establishing policies, standards, controls and systems to support the effective delivery of projects and programmes. You will, when required be accountable for the effective delivery of one or more complex digital services, managing end-to-end delivery through to live service. You may lead multidisciplinary teams made up of internal digital specialists and external suppliers, working with stakeholders up to the highest level.
- Establish and refine delivery processes
- Work with the stakeholders of the projects and programme delivery methodology and governance processes to optimise the existing delivery methodology and tools, ensuring they are industry-leading and fit for purpose.
- Be responsible for implementing, according to plan, the programme and project delivery methodology, establishing policies, standards, controls and systems to support the effective delivery of projects and programmes
- Provide coaching and training to the programme delivery community to support delivery and be the SME for tools & governance processes mechanisms and controls
- Be able to be pragmatic and commercially focused in the application of standards and controls including inter-departmental recharging
- be accountable for effective delivery of complex, high-risk digital products and services
- deliver projects and products using the appropriate agile project management methodology, learning and iterating frequently
- coach and mentor both team members and others to apply the most appropriate agile and lean tools and techniques
- build and matrix-manage multidisciplinary teams made up of business analysts, service designers, user researchers, technical architects and software engineers, ensuring they are motivated, collaborating and working well
- lead the collaborative, dynamic planning process, prioritising work that needs to be done against the capacity and capability of the team, and ensuring the team remains focused on those priorities
- Identify risks/obstacles and help the team to overcome them implementing effective mitigations
- be responsible for resource planning, budgeting and forecasting at each stage of the product life cycle
- ensure all products are built to meet digital and security standards, acting as a champion for user needs and quality standards
- actively participate in the delivery manager community, sharing skills and knowledge and ensuring in best practice
Essential skills and experience:
- Excellent knowledge of best practice programme and project management methodologies and governance
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Experience driving through change to processes and ways of working
- Experienced in using Roadmunk and Jira with the ability to train and share knowledge across Teams
- A track record of delivering digital services at pace in complex environments across multiple phases.
- Strong background in agile delivery management methodologies, processes and techniques, with an ability to coach within and outside of their team.
- Building successful motivated delivery teams with an understanding of team styles and how people work together.
- Maintaining delivery momentum and unblocking issues to optimise the delivery flow of teams.
- Working with senior leaders, stakeholders and third parties to drive agile transformations at an organisational level.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to mediate and mend relationships, engaging and managing the expectations of stakeholders at all levels.
- Dealing well with uncertainty and that you can bring sophisticated influencing skills (challenging when appropriate) to achieve clarity of requirements and direction.
Desirable skills and experience:
- Working knowledge of Confluence
- Writing or inputting into business cases and with the ability to communicate business-value propositions.
- Procuring suppliers using the appropriate contractual frameworks and adhering to government commercial standards.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Changing and Improving
- Making Effective Decisions
- Communicating and Influencing
- Working Together
- Managing a Quality Service
- Delivering at Pace
You will be asked a selection of technical questions related to:
- Governance Processes
- Agile processes
- Maintaining delivery momentum
This is a rolling campaign. Sifting of CV’s and interviews will be held weekly. Please submit your CV immediately.
Applicants will be required to provide an up to date CV and supporting statement (up to 1,250 words) detailing how you meet the requirements and behaviours listed above. You will also provide a completed diversity form.
View the full job description here.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cabinet Office are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our organisation. You can find out more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion and read our equal opportunities statement on our Diversity and Inclusion page.
Please note that this role requires SC clearance, which would normally require 5 years’ UK residency in the past 5 years. This is not an absolute requirement but supplementary checks may be required where individuals have not lived in the UK for the required period. This may mean that your security clearance (and therefore your appointment) will take longer or, in some cases, not be possible.