Head of Technical Operations
Sector: Central Government
Location: London / Bristol / Manchester
Date posted: 06/05/2022
Salary: £60,500 - £77,900 per annum*
Allen Lane are delighted to be supporting the Cabinet Office in their recruitment to a Head of Technical Operations (Grade 6) vacancy.
The Cabinet Office is undergoing a significant Digital Transformation. Over the next three years as we aspire to make UK Government digital services the best in the world and meet or exceed the benchmark set globally by the best public or private sector standards.
The role is part of the Technology Pillar which provides, maintains and supports the IT services (hosted and public cloud infrastructure, telephony, network security, internet connectivity, local area networks, WiFi, end-user devices, cloud capability and full software portfolio) relied upon by the entire Cabinet Office. Our user base of over ten thousand includes the Cabinet Office, Crown Commercial Services, Government Property Agency and a number of Ministers.
You will be managing a team of technology specialists totalling approximately forty staff. This includes NetOps, ServerOps and End User Computing engineers, as well as technical specialists in services such as Google Workspace, Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure and O365.
As Head of Technical Operations, your main responsibilities will be:
- provide leadership to and management of the CDIO Technology Team’s Operations and Cloud Services team
- collaborate with the principal enterprise architect, product managers, business analysts, delivery managers and others as part of cross-functional agile delivery teams
- contribute to the technical evaluation of proposals from third party suppliers, as part of government procurement processes
- work closely with external suppliers to ensure that their services meet Cabinet Office requirements and HMG standards
- help enable the reuse of patterns, tools, and components across Cabinet Office and wider government
- forge a close working relationship with the CDIO Technology Live Services team, who provide the frontline Service Desk to ensure a seamless service is delivered to our users
It’s essential that you can demonstrate and have proven experience in:
- Asset and configuration management. You can manage configuration management for the organisation, ensuring value for the business and adherence to company policies. Ensures changes to assets are recorded and controlled appropriately. Promotes organisational commitment to asset control. (Relevant skill level: expert)
- Business analysis (IT operations). You can lead investigative work into problems with and opportunities in existing processes, driving the collection of information and creation of recommendations for improvements. You know how to absorb large amounts of conflicting information and use it to produce solutions. (Relevant skill level: practitioner)
- Continual service improvement. You know how to analyse current processes, identify and implement opportunities to optimise processes, and lead and develop a team of experts to deliver service improvements. You help to evaluate and establish requirements for the implementation of changes by setting policy and standards. (Relevant skill level: practitioner)
- Ownership and initiative. You can take accountability of issues that occur and be proactive in searching for potential problems. You know how to achieve excellent user outcomes. (Relevant skill level: practitioner)
- Relationship management. You can determine strategic vision and direction. You know how to positively influence important senior stakeholders. You can provide an arbitration function. (Relevant skill level: expert)
- Service Management Framework knowledge. You have an expert certificate in Service Management Framework qualification and an industry understanding of how to implement the framework into numerous environments. (Relevant skill level: expert)
- Service reporting. You know how to leverage your data analytics skills to enhance business performance. (Relevant skill level: practitioner)
- Strategic thinking. You can lead the design and implementation of strategy, directing the evaluation of strategies and policies to ensure business requirements are being met. (Relevant skill level: expert)
- Technical understanding. You thoroughly understand the technical concepts required for the role and can explain how these fit into the wider technical landscape. (Relevant skill level: practitioner)
- User focus. You know how to give direction on which tools or methods to use. You are experienced in meeting the needs of users across a variety of channels. You can bring insight and expertise in how user needs have changed over time to ensure these are met by the business. You know how to apply strategic thinking in how to provide the best service for the end user. (Relevant skill level: expert)
- Agile qualifications
In the Civil Service we use our Success Profile Framework to outline expected behaviours and we will use these as part of our wider assessment during the interview process.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- working together
- making effective decisions
- developing self and others
- seeing the big picture
Applicants will be required to provide an up to date CV and supporting statement (up to 1,250 words) detailing how you meet the requirements and behaviours listed above. You will also provide a completed diversity form. This is a rolling campaign given multiple vacancies are available, so candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
View the full job description here.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cabinet Office are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our organisation. You can find out more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion and read our equal opportunities statement on our Diversity and Inclusion page. CDIO supports flexible working, including a balance between office and home-based working – this role is available on a national basis.
Please note that this role requires SC clearance, which would normally require 5 years’ UK residency in the past 5 years. This is not an absolute requirement but supplementary checks may be required where individuals have not lived in the UK for the required period. This may mean that your security clearance (and therefore your appointment) will take longer or, in some cases, not be possible.
* Please note the base salary for this role is £64,500 (London) or £60,500 (National). Offers made above the base salary will be made up with a non-pensionable Recruitment and Retention Allowance, which will be based on capability and experience.