Senior Server Operations Engineer
Sector: Central Government
Location: London or Manchester
Date posted: 28/02/2022
Salary: £49,700 - £58,500 per annum*
Allen Lane are delighted to be supporting the Cabinet Office in their recruitment to multiple permanent Senior Server Operations Engineer vacancies.
The Cabinet Office is undergoing a significant Digital Transformation. Over the next three years as we aspire to make UK Government digital services the best in the world and meet or exceed the benchmark set globally by the best public or private sector standards.
The Senior ServerOps Engineer is part of the Technology Pillar which provides, maintains and supports the infrastructure, telephony, network, Wifi, end-user devices, cloud capability and software across the entire Cabinet Office estate. Our user base includes the Cabinet Office, Crown Commercial Services, Estates and Government Property Agency. This role can be located in either London or Manchester, with remote working available.
The Senior ServerOps Engineer works within the Technical Operations team within the Cabinet Office CDIO team. Working closely with the Technical Architects and the Principal Infrastructure Engineer and will be designing/maintaining existing Server infrastructure, and carrying out upgrades and problem resolutions. The Senior ServerOps Engineer will have the responsibility to create and maintain documentation, change management and root cause analysis as well as acting as an escalation point for the Live Service. Applicants to this role may have operated recently as an Infrastructure Engineer.
Main responsibilities include:
- Work with service providers to troubleshoot issues through to resolution
- Directory Services, PKI, System Centre, Event Log Management, Security and Integrity, Compliance, Patching, Monitoring, Change Control, Project related requirements
- Maintain and monitor all network, security and computer systems to meet the organisation’s current and future requirements
- Responsible for management, maintenance and architecture of storage, virtualized environment, servers and productivity tools
- Monitor systems and identify performance issues proactively
- Work within strict time frames and escalate incidents with any 3rd party suppliers within defined timeframes
- Test all changes to hardware, software, and hosted applications
- Cater to doing infrastructure coordination related to design and setup activities at different stages of a project
- Resolve issues and prepare status reviews and reports
- Professionally represent the ServerOps team as a technical consultant on projects.
- Maintain the necessary documentation of all system builds, design documents and modifications.
- Interact and coordinate with vendors, suppliers, distributors and contract consultants
- Maintain a good working knowledge of current infrastructure and future trends
- Maintain good working relationships with all service providers and vendor
The ServerOps team covers an extended hours Mon-Fri 07:00 – 19:00 working pattern and the successful candidates would need to select an early, normal or late shift pattern. The extended hours cover results in an additional allowance being added to the base salary. This allowance will be discussed at the interview stage.
- Strong experience managing and administering Windows Servers including experience working with Active Directory and related services such as DHCP, DNS, PKI, LDAP and Group Policy
- Strong proven experience in managing infrastructure in AWS including Landing Zone, Route53, S3 and Backup
- Experience implementing planned changes to infrastructure and Change Control
- Understanding of print services and administration of managed print systems
- Experience analysing system performance data
- Knowledge of PowerShell scripting or other coding techniques such as infrastructure as code (IAC)
- Experience of supporting infrastructure services for a large user base
- MCSA Windows Server qualified
- MCTS in SQL server, Active Directory or Network and Windows Client
- ITIL certification
- DBA skills especially with Microsoft SQL or MySQL
In the Civil Service we use our Success Profile Framework to outline expected behaviours and we will use these as part of our wider assessment during the interview process.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- changing and improving
- making effective decisions
- communicating and influencing
- working together
- delivering at pace
Applicants will be required to provide an up to date CV and supporting statement (up to 1,250 words) detailing how you meet the requirements and behaviours listed above. You will also provide a completed diversity form. This is a rolling campaign given multiple vacancies are available, so candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
View the full job description here.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cabinet Office are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our organisation. You can find out more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion and read our equal opportunities statement on our Diversity and Inclusion page. CDIO supports flexible working, including a balance between office and home-based working – this role is available on a national basis.
Please note that this role requires SC clearance, which would normally require 5 years’ UK residency in the past 5 years. This is not an absolute requirement but supplementary checks may be required where individuals have not lived in the UK for the required period. This may mean that your security clearance (and therefore your appointment) will take longer or, in some cases, not be possible.
*Offers made above the base salary will be made up with a non-pensionable specialist DDaT allowance, which is based on capability.