Financial Services Director
Sector: Local Government
Date posted: 22/02/2022
Salary: Up to £120,000 per annum + benefits
The City of London Corporation has a special role and a wide remit that goes beyond that of an ordinary local authority. We look after the City on behalf of everyone who lives, works and visits here, and are committed to prompting opportunity, diversity, innovation, heritage and so much more. We’re currently looking for a Financial Services Director and Deputy 151 to join us in the Guildhall.
This is a key senior role, and you’ll provide strategic leadership of the Corporation’s finances through the delivery of an efficient, customer-focused accounting function. Amongst your other responsibilities, we’ll expect you to:
- Provide strategic financial advice and support to Members and Chief Officers, contribute to the achievement of corporate objectives, and make a step change improvement in the advice and guidance on business and commercial strategies
- Lead the implementation of the Finance ‘Fit for the Future’ strategy, including outcomes, governance, training and policy, propose solutions as required, and champion the strategy to relevant officers and committees
- Lead the transformation of the function to provide financial services for corporate benefit
- Report to the Chamberlain with support, advice and services that comply with statutory requirements, and act as her nominated Deputy with regard to her responsibilities
- Lead on public and private sector accounting issues, and advise the Chamberlain and Members on financial and policy implications
- Contribute to the corporate management of the City of London, providing leadership and innovation as appropriate, in particular on significant projects including the ‘zero based review’ and major capital schemes.
- Liaise and participate in activities with external bodies as required.
A fully qualified accountant with extensive post-qualification experience at a senior level in a public sector environment, you’ll be committed to continued professional development. You should have expertise in strategic financial management, extensive senior financial management experience and a successful track record of leadership in a multi-disciplinary organisation.
We’ll look for demonstrable success in leading and motivating teams to achieve significant,
sustainable service improvements, and experience of developing and sustaining a culture that values learning, development and the promotion of equity, diversity and inclusion. You’ll have championed successful transformation in financial management, and possess a good understanding of the legal, financial and political workings of local government and current best practice.
Agile and quick-thinking, you’ll have a wide range of other areas of skill and expertise, including a record of building productive relationships across a wide range of professional groups and different organisations. We’ll also expect you to have experience of acting as a spokesperson and representative of a large and complex political organisation, and the ability to lead and inspire high performing teams.
If you’d like an informal and confidential discussion about this role, or to receive a candidate pack please contact Will Ryan from Allen Lane at email@example.com or 07789 871 864.
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter through by Monday 7th March. The cover letter should be no more than 2 pages and should include why you are interested in the position and why you believe you are suitable.
We’re committed to equal opportunities at The City of London, and we welcome applications from all sections of the community.