SCS1 Head of Digital Security
Sector: Central Government
Location: Blackpool, Sheffield, Leeds, Newcastle or Manchester
Date posted: 24/03/2022
Salary: Up to £110,000 per annum
The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is undergoing an unprecedented change to the welfare system, and to the products and services delivered by around 100,000 employees to some 22 million customers. The DWP are seeking the addition of an outstanding leader as Head of Digital Security on a permanent basis.
In your capacity of Head of Digital Security at DWP you will join a network of digital, data and technology leaders that has developed into an essential forum for co-ordinating and driving transformation across government. With your senior colleagues from other departments you will set standards and maintain a shared vision to deliver transformation. You’ll share best practice and drive collective efficiencies wherever possible, supporting and guiding our cross government programmes to build digital, data and capability, making government a destination of choice for progressive digital, data and technology professionals.
The DWP delivers more complicated and successful digital services than most organisations across the UK. DWP’s Digital Security capability is market leading and this is role presents a unique career opportunity to lead this function in a newly created role. You will join a highly driven and dynamic digital setting, operating in a fascinating environment at the heart of government.
We welcome applicants who are excited by what is happening in Digital Security across the world, understand how digital security risk can be managed and the technology products used to counter such risks. You will have energy and passion complemented by brilliant engagement and communication skills – you will be capable of driving change and taking people with you. The post holder will find themselves in a genuinely dynamic and fast-moving department.
As Head of Digital Security, you will:
- Provide strategic and expert leadership cross Digital on IT security.
- Work in partnership with the S&DP function to embed secure by design across all Digital services.
- Provide strategic and expert leadership cross Technology Services on Digital and IT security.
- Create, own, deliver and maintain the Digital security plan.
- Leading on the transformation of Digital Security Risk Management (DSRM).
- Establish a centre of excellence for security architecture to embed secure by design ways of working across Digital.
- Establish an Offensive Security capability to validate and test the security controls built into services are operating as designed and providing appropriate protection.
- Leading and managing Digital wide risk management, working with S&DP on security policy, standards and adoption of industry best practice in alignment with the NIST Cyber security framework.
- Lead on IT security risk management and first line assurance for DWP Digital.
- Acting a trusted advisor and leader within the Technology Services Directorate and across DWP Digital and the wider DWP Department working closely with the Department’s Chief Security Office (CSO) and S&DP.
- Leading and managing the performance, development and well-being of your team; operating in an agile delivery environment and focused on service excellence.
- Manage operational budget and commercial arrangements.
The successful candidate must demonstrate the following key skills and experience, which should be evidenced in your application:
- Expert and experienced in IT security solutions and services within a large enterprise 24*7 operational business including with public and private cloud solutions.
- Experience of leading market security technologies and controls for example SIEM (Splunk), PUAM (CyberArk), Endpoint protection (Tanium and Fire-eye).
- Experienced in cyber and technology security risk management and incident handling.
- Extensive experienced of industry security frameworks and standards including the NIST Cybersecurity framework and how it is applied to track cybersecurity capability across an enterprise organisation or other comparable frameworks.
- Experience in setting technology security strategy and managing continuous service improvement.
- Experience of IT operations in an agile and dev-ops delivery environment.
- An exceptional and authentic leader, with the ability to build, inspire and engage their teams to deliver results even in times of ambiguity; to enjoy their contribution and to be proud of their achievements.
- Proven experience of developing capability at an organisational and team level, through empowering, supporting and developing staff to achieve the highest performance standards.
- Successful track record of delivering digitally enabled organisational transformation programmes, with an appreciation that change can provide opportunity for efficiency and innovation.
- Strong track record of building excellent stakeholder relationships; creating a wider ranging network of relationships across organisational boundaries that support collaborative working across teams or organisations to in order to achieve highly effective outcomes.
- A self-starter bringing their own energy, resilience and enthusiasm, to continually drive through improvements to the service provided to DWP.
- Strong financial acumen and a desire for and experience in delivering value for money.
- Strong commercial acumen and experience of managing third part service providers.
- You will have a passion for building capability and ambition to build the best digital capability in UK public services which equal the best in the private sector.
Please view the candidate pack for further details on the role and additional information on the DWP.
The DWP are open to applicants from all backgrounds and sectors. Prior Civil Service experience is not a pre-requisite, however, applicants must demonstrate the ability to operate a scale in a complex environment. The DWP are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our organisation.
Applicants will be required to provide an up to date CV and supporting statement (up to 1,250 words) detailing how you meet the role’s requirements. You will also provide a completed diversity form.
The closing date for applications is Sunday 17th April at 23:55.
To apply, please email DWP@allenlane.co.uk.
The successful candidate will be required to obtain Developed Vetting (DV) level clearance before taking up post, applicants do not need DV clearance at the time of application. This role can be based in the following DWP Hub locations: Blackpool, Sheffield, Leeds, Newcastle or Manchester. This role is suitable for hybrid working, which is where an employee works part of the week in their DWP office and part of the week from home.